has anyone found a way to not grind in their sleep? cause i keep straining my TMJ muscle

i am a teeth grinder in my sleep and i recently pulled my TMJ muscle (which is basically your jaw muscle). it is very painful and i would like to avoid it in the future, but can't figure out how!!!

any help or theories would be very very appreciated.

Hi! I see a fabulous doctor in Virginia (about 4 hours from me) who is treating me for this issue. I have a retainer that I wear during the day and at night that really helps. I have also received laser therapy for my TMJ issues just recently and have heard fabulous things about it from other patients. I don't know where you live, but if you would like the name of my doc please let me know--he's AMAZING!!

Thanks for your post and welcome!

I agree that night time grinding leaves our daytime quite painful. I grind my teeth at night too.

Have you considered a mouth guard? This might be the best way for you to stop grinding.

Typical symptoms of TMJ, from our Encyclopedia are :

◦Pain in the temporomandibular joint
◦Popping, clicking, or grating in the temporomandibular joint while eating and/or drinking
◦A sensation of the jaw “catching” or “locking” briefly, while attempting to open or close the mouth, or while chewing
◦Difficulty opening the mouth completely
◦Pain in the jaw
◦Facial pain
◦Muscle pain and/or spasm in the area of the temporomandibular joint
◦Ear pain
◦Neck and/or shoulder pain

Empowher also suggests the following treatments as possibilities :

Avoidance of certain foods that trigger discomfort (such as gum or beef jerky), and anti-inflammatory medications. The older antidepressant drug amitriptyline, taken in low doses, as well as the muscle relaxant cyclobenzaprine may help as well.

According to a few controlled trials, some people with more severe forms of TMJ may benefit from the use of a dental appliance. Finally, on rare occasions, surgery may be necessary.

Proposed Natural Treatments
The supplement glucosamine , taken alone or in combination with chondroitin , has shown considerable promise for the treatment of osteoarthritis . Because osteoarthritis of the temporomandibular joint can play a role in some cases of TMJ syndrome, researchers have begun to investigate the potential role of these supplements in treating the condition. Promising results were seen in a double-blind study that compared glucosamine to ibuprofen in the treatment of 45 people with TMJ arthritis. Over the 3-month study period, the supplement proved equal in effectiveness to the drug. However, because this study lacked a placebo group, it cannot be taken as fully reliable. Another double-blind study, this one involving glucosamine without chondroitin, did have a placebo group, but too many participants dropped out to allow meaningful conclusions to be drawn.

EMG biofeedback is a form of biofeedback therapy that involves teaching a person to gain conscious control of muscle tension. A meta-analysis (formal statistical review) of published studies suggests that EMG biofeedback might be helpful for TMJ pain. However, the reviewers noted that the evidence is as yet incomplete, and more (and better quality) research is needed.

Similarly, while preliminary controlled trials suggest that acupuncture may be helpful for TMJ syndrome, more research is needed.

A cream made from cayenne and other hot peppers (capsaicin cream) has shown promise for a variety of painful conditions. However, one study failed to find capsaicin cream more effective than placebo cream for TMJ syndrome.

Other treatments sometimes recommended for TMJ, but that lack reliable scientific support, include chiropractic ,massage, and prolotherapy.

What are you currently doing now, to prevent grinding? Are you wearing a night guard?

Teeth Grinding (Bruxism)

Teeth Grinding (Bruxism) Guide