Have you had experience with the Wiley Protocol?

By March 3, 2009 - 11:15am

Has anyone had experience using the Wiley Protocol of hormone replacement therapy?

It is a method where bioidentical hormones are prescribed and are given transdermally -- through the skin -- in a patent-pending cream. A primary

difference between this protocol and some others is that the hormonal levels rise and fall, similar to the way a woman's normal cycle did when she was still menstruating.

There is some controversy on the web about T.S. Wiley's qualifications for developing a medical protocol, since she is not a doctor herself, she studied anthropology (though she co-authored the book "Sex, Lies, and Menopause" with Julie Taguchi, M.D.)

Some women claim wonderful results; others claim very troubling side effects. Does anyone out there have personal experiences to share?

Anonymous

I would likely be dead without the Wiley protocol. When I was 57, I had a total hysterectomy and oophorectomy for uterine cancer. I was still having periods at that age. I couldn't talk the surgeon into not taking the ovaries which produce a lot of our hormones, even if they looked OK and didn't appear to be affected by the cancer. I had excellent surgeons and my body, per se, recovered from the surgery in terms of shape and moving around. However, by the time 9 months had passed I was falling into suicidal depressions, each one worse than the previous one, and I knew at some point I would not come back. In complete hysterical desperation, I called UCLA and was connected to a fantastic patient advocate who got me an appt. with an OBGYN. He got me on some estrogen, but I never tolerate the birth control pills (fake estrogen) and.. to make a long story short, I was finally referred to Dr. Taguchi at Sansum, and I got on the Wilely. I have to tell you- the estrogen first saved my life. The depressions went away. But with the whole protocol, acne I'd had since age 13 disappeared in a couple weeks!! The testosterone enabled me to start workiing out at the gym again. Without it, I could barely lift my legs and I am a field biologist. I have always been an active person! Testosterone is what puts the "spring" in your step!!! How come doctors don't tell us these things!!!!

I have been on it now for 16 or 17 years? therebouts. A couple years ago they changed something in the fomulation- and its not working quite as well as it did, and am researching these issues. But, no doubt exists in my mind, without WP, I would not be here anymore. I was hoping to find more about the WP, but there doesn't seem to be much about it online.

Anyway, I probably wouldn't take it just to keep looking young (my mom is 100+, so thats already in my genes). And I don't look as old as I am, as I always have been active, but if I had (and I did) physiological challenges because of the abrupt removal of several of my body organs, I would not hesitate to take it to normalize bodily functions.

BtW- my cancer was "caught" Stage 1, Grade 1. My internist noted she had never seen it caught so soon. Pay attention to your bodies!! I called my ObGYN one day as I asked him, how does one determine the difference between menopausal symtoms and cancer, as their symotoms are essentially the same in early stages. He said- only way is to look and test. So we did- and I was so lucky to catch it very early!! Listen to your body!! He was taken by surprise as during the exam, he saw nothing out of the ordinary!!

Anonymous

I started on the Wiley Protocol at 51, 7 years ago, after having two dreadful hot flushes. My doctor insisted l read 'Sex, Lies and Menopause' before she would prescribe. I have never had another hot flush and no issues with dryness. I feel great knowing that l am looking after my bones and have no osteoporosis unlike all the older women in the family. I feel so lucky to have stumbled on this protocol!
Helen Aden Australia

Anonymous

I've been on the WP longer than most people--over ten years. I'm 62 and started using it during peri-menopause. I needed to adjust dosages over the first 2.5 years, and have had to do that 3 or 4 other times during the course of my use. I have nothing but good things to say about this protocol. Within three months I noticed better sleep, elimination of joint pain, and clear-headedness: I could think waaaayyy better and my mood improved. My energy is consistently terrific, I look lots younger than my age; my hair filled out a bunch; my skin tone is elastic and moist, and boy is the sex good. I've never reached the target numbers for P in my luteal phase, but I have a regular bleed and my endometrial and Day 12/21 tests come back fine. New England has no doctors who have clinical experience, despite what the WP website says (I'm in MA), so I go to one in NJ once a year. Also, The nearest licensed compounder is in NYC. I am SO waiting for insurance to cover this, but in the meantime, my desert island knapsack would include my WP E, P, and T. :-)

I am considering trying the Wiley Protocol and have had some trouble getting information. I read SLM, and I've combed the website. I understand what the protocol consists of, and why. But I am concerned about taking estrogen and progesterone at doses so much higher than what I have been using ( I am on bioidentical HRT). My doctor refuses to prescribe it. He referred me to a couple of very high-priced doctors who have been in the media a lot and have "anti-aging" concierge clinics in Beverly Hills. I don't want to pay $1,000 for a consultation and sign up for a subscription of $500/month, which is what one requires! Another wants $3,500 up front. Ridiculous. All I need is to nil down the dosing of the estrogen and progesterone that is right for me. I would really appreciate the chance to talk with someone who has been doing this protocol for a long time. My email is gbplattner@aol.com and my phone number is 310 889 9991. Hopefully this info won't wind up in some mailing list! Thank you to whoever responds to this, Gail.

I didn't know the Wiley Protocol had been around for 10 years. Otherwise, I would have tried it years ago. I've been on it for three years. I am 60 and was on static dosing prior to starting the wp.

I do not understand why all women aren't on this, from perimenopause on. My body looks and acts like that of a 35-year-old, and that's the age people think I am. (People get creeped out when they find out my true age.)

I think there must be an incredible amount of prejudice in our society against older women trying to be young. I am now living in Seattle, and I hate the attitudes here. I'm getting out as soon as possible. At this stage of my life, I want to live in California, which is the most progressive state as far as women's health goes.

Here the doctors are all male, extremely male chauvinistic, not open to new ideas. They make wonderful traditional doctors. I've enjoyed them as people, but they are somewhat backward with regard to women's issues. However, what's interesting is that they keep thinking I'm much younger than I am. They have been more than flirtatious with me, which strengthens my opinion that the WP is to blame. :-) I've regained my power with men.

I cannot say enough good things about the WP. Sex is great, I am no longer incontinent, muscle tone is wonderful, breasts are full and taut, and no longer fibrocystic. I just wish I could have more of a good thing. I agree with the desert Island list. I would bring some tampons and a partner to shag with all day long, however, in addition to the WP.

I am thinking of adding Hgh to my antiaging protocol.

Anonymous

Hello. I have been on the Wiley protocol since December. I have been confused about the application instructions several times and on occasion forgot to take it. However, I have been sleeping like a baby, my skin looks better and my hair too.

The thing I have been most bothered by is steady weight gain…I have gained over 15 pounds since I started with no changes in diet or lifestyle. I even went on a plant based diet for 3 weeks and no still no weight loss.

I too have gained weight and had skin eruptions. I was on only progesterone (BI) prior and added the estrogen. I dont think i metabolism the estrogen and am setting up an estrogen dominance.
I think I may use the progesterone for the full month and half or third the estrogen.
very frustrating to figure this out

Anonymous

Looking for help/answers please....
Been on the Wiley Protocol for about 8 months now. I swear its AGING me!
My biggest concern is that I am transferring these hormones to my dog.
HIS nipples grew. I am avoiding contact (SAD) until I get answers....no one has them.
I am super diligent with hand washing , etc, following all the guidelines.
No one can seem to answer the question ---- Can the hormones excrete from my pores???
Meaning it wouldn't matter where I applied, or how well I covered the area, or how long I waited, or how well I washed my hands.
Anyone know?

could the hormones be on clothing ?

I've been on it for several years and I have several dogs with no issues. Just continue washing your hands religiously. I'm pretty sure it's not the bhrt.

Community

Can't Find Something?

Guide

ASK Moderation Guidelines