Q: 

Have you had experience with the Wiley Protocol?

By March 3, 2009 - 11:15am

Has anyone had experience using the Wiley Protocol of hormone replacement therapy?

It is a method where bioidentical hormones are prescribed and are given transdermally -- through the skin -- in a patent-pending cream. A primary

difference between this protocol and some others is that the hormonal levels rise and fall, similar to the way a woman's normal cycle did when she was still menstruating.

There is some controversy on the web about T.S. Wiley's qualifications for developing a medical protocol, since she is not a doctor herself, she studied anthropology (though she co-authored the book "Sex, Lies, and Menopause" with Julie Taguchi, M.D.)

Some women claim wonderful results; others claim very troubling side effects. Does anyone out there have personal experiences to share?

Anonymous

Please people, give the names of your Dr and your state. It can be helpful for some of us that are searching for doctors! I'm willing to travel if I need to! Also Pharmacies can be useful too! Thanks!

Anonymous

I like the concept of wiley ie changing hormones throughout the month. I was already on bioidenticals for 10 plus years so was feeling ok.
I found that although the bloodwork reflected therapeutic levels, it was too much for my body to handle so am in the process of tweaking the amounts for me. so far I am using 50-65 % of the recommended values which seems to be working in that I feel ok without estrogen dominance symptoms.

Anonymous

I need a NYC doctor . My doctor stopped prescribing it and I'm at my wits end trying to locate one one NYC. I have been on it for years and had never felt better !!! Please anyone out there ?!!!

You can go to thewileyprotocol.com and they have a search for providers link that will show a map of providers in your area. Good luck!

Thank you for responding but I have tried and am very surprised to find that the list is not up to date! Many of the doctors listed are no longer in Wiley . I can't believe that in NYC I cannot find a Wiley doctor! tioqeqa

Anonymous

Yes use it, don't waste time!!! I've been using it for 9 years and I don't need 100 other products. Menopause? Whats that? hahahaha :D I feel incredible!! All the stuff they sell to women for menopause!! you wont need any of it!! including creams for older women's excessively dry skin, Mona Lisa lasers for vaginal atrophy, anti depressants, osteoporosis pills, sleeping medications, inulin resistance diabetes meds, herbal hotflash potions which don't work btw. KY lubricants Or any type of Hair growing, or breaking formulas a shrink, a divorce Lawyer. What you will need. A bigger bra, a sexy dress, and a locking jewelry box for all those diamonds your husband will start buying you. Enjoy your last 50 years !!! Show every one that you were simply a late bloomer! How , How can I look better at 60, than I did at 25??? Feel better than I did in my 40's I don't know; but I simply Just enjoy it!!!

Anonymous

I would likely be dead without the Wiley protocol. When I was 57, I had a total hysterectomy and oophorectomy for uterine cancer. I was still having periods at that age. I couldn't talk the surgeon into not taking the ovaries which produce a lot of our hormones, even if they looked OK and didn't appear to be affected by the cancer. I had excellent surgeons and my body, per se, recovered from the surgery in terms of shape and moving around. However, by the time 9 months had passed I was falling into suicidal depressions, each one worse than the previous one, and I knew at some point I would not come back. In complete hysterical desperation, I called UCLA and was connected to a fantastic patient advocate who got me an appt. with an OBGYN. He got me on some estrogen, but I never tolerate the birth control pills (fake estrogen) and.. to make a long story short, I was finally referred to Dr. Taguchi at Sansum, and I got on the Wilely. I have to tell you- the estrogen first saved my life. The depressions went away. But with the whole protocol, acne I'd had since age 13 disappeared in a couple weeks!! The testosterone enabled me to start workiing out at the gym again. Without it, I could barely lift my legs and I am a field biologist. I have always been an active person! Testosterone is what puts the "spring" in your step!!! How come doctors don't tell us these things!!!!

I have been on it now for 16 or 17 years? therebouts. A couple years ago they changed something in the fomulation- and its not working quite as well as it did, and am researching these issues. But, no doubt exists in my mind, without WP, I would not be here anymore. I was hoping to find more about the WP, but there doesn't seem to be much about it online.

Anyway, I probably wouldn't take it just to keep looking young (my mom is 100+, so thats already in my genes). And I don't look as old as I am, as I always have been active, but if I had (and I did) physiological challenges because of the abrupt removal of several of my body organs, I would not hesitate to take it to normalize bodily functions.

BtW- my cancer was "caught" Stage 1, Grade 1. My internist noted she had never seen it caught so soon. Pay attention to your bodies!! I called my ObGYN one day as I asked him, how does one determine the difference between menopausal symtoms and cancer, as their symotoms are essentially the same in early stages. He said- only way is to look and test. So we did- and I was so lucky to catch it very early!! Listen to your body!! He was taken by surprise as during the exam, he saw nothing out of the ordinary!!

Anonymous

I started on the Wiley Protocol at 51, 7 years ago, after having two dreadful hot flushes. My doctor insisted l read 'Sex, Lies and Menopause' before she would prescribe. I have never had another hot flush and no issues with dryness. I feel great knowing that l am looking after my bones and have no osteoporosis unlike all the older women in the family. I feel so lucky to have stumbled on this protocol!
Helen Aden Australia

Anonymous

I've been on the WP longer than most people--over ten years. I'm 62 and started using it during peri-menopause. I needed to adjust dosages over the first 2.5 years, and have had to do that 3 or 4 other times during the course of my use. I have nothing but good things to say about this protocol. Within three months I noticed better sleep, elimination of joint pain, and clear-headedness: I could think waaaayyy better and my mood improved. My energy is consistently terrific, I look lots younger than my age; my hair filled out a bunch; my skin tone is elastic and moist, and boy is the sex good. I've never reached the target numbers for P in my luteal phase, but I have a regular bleed and my endometrial and Day 12/21 tests come back fine. New England has no doctors who have clinical experience, despite what the WP website says (I'm in MA), so I go to one in NJ once a year. Also, The nearest licensed compounder is in NYC. I am SO waiting for insurance to cover this, but in the meantime, my desert island knapsack would include my WP E, P, and T. :-)

Hi, I live in RI and Bayview Pharmacy is a licensed Wiley compounder. They also ship out. I just started the WP today...confused by where to apply. Can you explain where you apply it? Forearm, back of upper arm, etc.?

Community

Can't Find Something?

ASK Moderation Guidelines