Community

Can't Find Something?

Rebecca Xu HERWriter Guide

ASK Moderation Guidelines

ask: Have you had experience with the Wiley Protocol?

By Diane Porter

Has anyone had experience using the Wiley Protocol of hormone replacement therapy?

It is a method where bioidentical hormones are prescribed and are given transdermally -- through the skin -- in a patent-pending cream. A primary

difference between this protocol and some others is that the hormonal levels rise and fall, similar to the way a woman's normal cycle did when she was still menstruating.

There is some controversy on the web about T.S. Wiley's qualifications for developing a medical protocol, since she is not a doctor herself, she studied anthropology (though she co-authored the book "Sex, Lies, and Menopause" with Julie Taguchi, M.D.)

Some women claim wonderful results; others claim very troubling side effects. Does anyone out there have personal experiences to share?

Anonymous

Hi, I'm Ana. Last year, on my 39th birthday I had a complete hysterectomy. I've been on Climara patches ever since and I was wondering if anyone on this chat is on the Wiley protocol due to early menopause. I am considering Wiley but I would like to know someone else's experience that walked before me. Thank u very much!!

E.V.T. (reply to Anonymous)

Hi Ana,
I'm Yvette, been on Wiley since 2007. My hubby since 2009. What would you like to know? Did you read the book "SEX LIES & MENOPAUSE", that's a big help. Why did you have a hysterectomy? I ran from doctors that suggested that to me. Thank God I found a doctor that told me all I needed was some progesterone to stop my bleeding, it also reversed my bad endometrial biopsy, I'm no doctor, but I knew those other doctors didn't know everything, so I kept looking, lucky I did. It's been a lonely & frustrating road, I've had no one to help me, when I would find Wiley doctors, they would tell me I knew more than them, but I didn't give up, I pretty much got it down pat. You would need to be on the LUNAR calendar, a Wiley pharmacy, (found on the Wiley website), would give you that. You need to have your bloods drawn about every 3 months. Your estrogens drawn on day 12 of your cycle, ( Your #'s should be between 350-500), your progesterones drawn on the 21st day of your cycle, ( #'s should be between 10-22).oh yeah, & make sure you don't get your bloods drawn from the arm you put the hormones on that your getting tested for, for instant, if your putting your estrogen on your right arm this month, ( you alternate arms every month), then have the blood drawn from your left arm. I now sleep, my boobs are fuller, my vagina is wet when I need it to be, my skin is moister, I have a sex drive, I don't think I get bitchy, lol, but you'd have to ask my family that. I get my period, when my periods are off, (too early or too late), or my bloods are not the numbers I need, I have to tweak my doses, go up a line or down a line of meds that are in the dosing syringes. Easy for me now. Good Luck! :)

Anonymous

I have been on the wiley protocol for almost 4 yrs. Im on p4 (progesterone pills plus 200 more mg pill. my max dose day day 20-21 is 500 mg. my estrogen is W+3. and I take 3 mg testosterone. My weight used to be 140-141 before wiley. Now I am 151-152 at 5'4 Im heavy. My stomach is big and Ive got a fat in places like bikini line that I never had before. Before wiley I was not interested in sex with my husband. I had vaginal dryness (extreme) and my hair was falling out. I never slept more than 2 hrs at a time. and had to go pee every few hours at night. Now I sleep well, my hair grows a inch a month. I have great libido and no more dryness... down there its like being 25 again. The downside.. during peak progesterone Im sleepy.. very groggy.. But my Dr states that I just need to take it earlier. She said my levels are perfect now. whatever that is suppose to mean as I don't know what wiley perfect levels are.. I am very very scared of the cancer issue. I even lie to my gyn because she told me Im playing with fire with wiley. Huge concern of mine. My husband wants me to stay on it.. I am going to see another bio identical Dr soon and see what she says. I do believe it keeps you young. I have no osteopenia, my labs are ok, It supposedly prevent breast and cervical cancer. So Im not sure. Wishing I could find a good wiley support group Jillian RN

Thank you for sharing. I'm on a journey now to find answers to my peri menopausal symptoms. Are you saying you gained weight on the wiley protocol?

Menopause Moxie (reply to Anonymous)

I'm a Wiley Protocol Consultant and Educator until we were able to fix the flaws of this protocol. I've been on the Wiley Protocol for 7 years and educated physicians and mid-levels on the Wiley Protocol. This protocol has clinical flaws that Wiley has never been able to fix because she not a physician, she never took the protocol to the clinic. There are a handful of clinical flaws of the Wiley Protocol that have been ironed out and fixed since a doctor in a clinic was able to fix them. Because so many things needed to be changed and updated, the name had to be changed. Wiley has a patent on one level of dosing but we found that dosing wasn't effective enough to fix all the problems women were having. The Panacea Protocol is now the most advanced form of rhythmic dosing optimal HRT, and is considered 4th Generation HRT, whereas the Wiley Protocol is considered 3rd Generation HRT.

You are at greater risk of cancer the less estrogen you have. Estrogen protects the body against cancer, not the other way around. That's why women get cancer AFTER their estrogen declines, not when they have enough like when women are in their twenties.

Be careful of which doctor you go to for HRT because they don't teach it in med school, and the A4M only teaches 2nd Generation HRT. Wiley has no formal clinical training available so ask your doctor where they got their education and training in HRT.

If your doctor wants to be trained in the Panacea Protocol (or Wiley Protocol), let me know and I can forward you that information. Training is funded by the Panacea Sciences Foundation for HRT Research.

The Estrogen Girls Club on Facebook is a Wiley and Panacea Protocol Support Group. List any questions and I will be happy to answer them for you.

Anonymous (reply to Menopause Moxie)

I have just been prescribed the Wiley Protocol, my Dr. would not answer any of my questions I had about the instructions on taking the hormones. I have IBS, and since starting this protocol, whoa, my IBS has gotten worse. Why? He gave me a print out on directions and told me I could use level 1 or 2. I am following level 2. The directions I got when I received the meds was different. They were twice the amount I was shown to take on the handout. My hormones were very low by saliva testing, not blood work. I was using a hormone patch .o5mg. twice a week and I can tell these hormones with Wiley are strong. Should I have started on level 1. I am not sure if you call them levels, since the Dr. did not want to answer my questions. I do not know if he was trained for your Wiley protocol. I do have more energy, but the IBS has to go. Any suggestions. I tried calling a help number on your website, had to leave my name and number, but have not received a call back yet.
Thanks

Anonymous

I'm on it for 3 years already- I started actually about 8 years ago with just P and T- in 1/8 of a dose and slowly increased them as I moved into a perimenopause. Slowly, I started to add some estrogen too. When I nearly missed my period for the first time (it was 15 days late), I immediately called my doctor and said that I'm ready for the full protocol. It's been wonderful so far, in fact, I feel much better - no PMS, etc., than when I was in my 20ies and on my own hormones. I don't share my experience with real life women as I don't want to be 1. questioned and criticised/warned, 2. to reveal my age- I look as someone in her early 30ies and prefer to be taken for such. I heard that many women have problems with the protocol- it seems they all have some underlying problems- I took care of my adrenal deficiency before I went on the protocol. They also blast the high doses after years of deficiencies- and their bodies just can't take it. Even my doctor advised to start the protocol right away- and so does Wiley herself- but I listened to my gut and started super-slowly, replacing only what was missing- and I judged mostly by my symptoms, with my bloodwork being only a very broad guideline. I'd highly recommend the protocol to all women over ~35, starting with the low doses first- but only if they are in good health to start with, are not overweight (hormones, esp. P accumulates in fat), and also have good instincts, willing to learn and to advise their doctors- and have doctors willing to listen.

Debv

Jake, the comment to which you're replying does not imply that your mother's protocol *caused* the cancer in this case. But clearly it failed to prevent it.

And if anyone believes that T.S. Wiley has never suggested "to the general public" that her protocol prevents cancer, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, ... -- just combine any or all of those with "wiley protocol" in a Google search.

nanashana

I find it interesting Anonymous person, that you are putting SO MUCH energy into trying to dis The Wiley Protocol, and without identifying yourself or giving any credible references to your accusations. Go away and peddle your death generating words somewhere else where people are stupid enough to listen to you.

Anonymous

So I learned that the Boulder, CO osteopath who hawked the WP to hundreds of women (and used it herself) now has breast cancer.

What do you think is the most important health test for women?: