Q: 

Have you had experience with the Wiley Protocol?

By March 3, 2009 - 11:15am

Has anyone had experience using the Wiley Protocol of hormone replacement therapy?

It is a method where bioidentical hormones are prescribed and are given transdermally -- through the skin -- in a patent-pending cream. A primary

difference between this protocol and some others is that the hormonal levels rise and fall, similar to the way a woman's normal cycle did when she was still menstruating.

There is some controversy on the web about T.S. Wiley's qualifications for developing a medical protocol, since she is not a doctor herself, she studied anthropology (though she co-authored the book "Sex, Lies, and Menopause" with Julie Taguchi, M.D.)

Some women claim wonderful results; others claim very troubling side effects. Does anyone out there have personal experiences to share?

Anonymous

I have had an encounter with T.S.Wiley herself. I came away with the understanding that she is ignorant about what certain clinicians know and do and how they interact, as well as refuses to listen to someone educated in the medical field about why women in their 80's and 90's don't need to have periods. Instead of having a productive discussion about menopause, she made it into a defensive arguement, and refused to even listen to evidence-based theories that I and my collegues were presenting on the call. Also, please clinicians, READ THE ENTIRE CONTRACT BEFORE SIGNING! She is asking you to break confidentiality laws by giving her feedback on your patients, as well as giving her free consultations / products for those of you who are compounding her products.

Anonymous

Despite lots of trepidation after all the negative I'd heard about Wiley, I finally started the protocol last week. I've been terribly frustrated with the static low dose hormones that are the standard of care, I felt like I inexorably have been going downhill, and Wiley made sense to me.

Today I am on day 9. I used 7 lines of estradiol this morning. I think that equals 7 mg. The highest dose any conventional doctor ever had me on was 3mg/day, which felt pretty good, but certainly not great.

About 6 hours after applying the estradiol, I was driving home from dinner. I felt energetic, not tired as I usually do by 10pm. I had the urge to drive fast, something that I have not felt in many years. I stepped on the gas, and it was fun. I turned on the music - my old favorite songs. I started singing along, just like I used to. When I got home, I suddenly realized - I was FEELING again! I was excited and happy again, just like I used to be!

I literally burst into tears at the realization. I have not felt this way in probably 7 or 8 years, yet this is me, this is who I clearly recall having been. I did not realize how unhappy I had become, how dead inside, until I suddenly had a taste of how I USED to feel again.

All my doubt about this protocol has been swept away. There is no question in my mind but that this is the result of the estradiol. Nothing else whatsoever has changed in my life. It is impossible for me to feel this GOOD, this NORMAL, and have it be something that could cause cancer or other ill health. My husband even commented on how smooth my skin has started looking. That is not just cosmetic - it is healthy.

Granted, I haven't done the progesterone phase yet, which when people generally say they encounter problems. I may have to experiment with the doses of estradiol and progesterone until I find the amounts that work for my body. But I never intend to be without sufficient estradiol again.

Why does no one TELL women any of this??? I have had to be willing to buck the system, ignore my doctors, and take a chance to find my own way, so that I could feel good. I have no medical training, and so this has been super stressful and anxiety-producing.

To anyone considering Wiley - GO FOR IT!

Gail

Hi
My doctor has been telling me about the Wiley Protocol. I eat extremely well, maintain healthy habits and exercise a lot. However, like you I feel inexorably like I am going down hill. Can't loose fat weight, plagged by hot flashes and generally don't feel good or energetic. I am using bioidentical transdermals but they don't seem to help at all
My Dr. told me Wiley is very controversial and is "cautious" about it...so that freaks me out. I am ready to try anything to feel good/normal.

Anonymous

Please people, give the names of your Dr and your state. It can be helpful for some of us that are searching for doctors! I'm willing to travel if I need to! Also Pharmacies can be useful too! Thanks!

Anonymous

I like the concept of wiley ie changing hormones throughout the month. I was already on bioidenticals for 10 plus years so was feeling ok.
I found that although the bloodwork reflected therapeutic levels, it was too much for my body to handle so am in the process of tweaking the amounts for me. so far I am using 50-65 % of the recommended values which seems to be working in that I feel ok without estrogen dominance symptoms.

Anonymous

I need a NYC doctor . My doctor stopped prescribing it and I'm at my wits end trying to locate one one NYC. I have been on it for years and had never felt better !!! Please anyone out there ?!!!

You can go to thewileyprotocol.com and they have a search for providers link that will show a map of providers in your area. Good luck!

Thank you for responding but I have tried and am very surprised to find that the list is not up to date! Many of the doctors listed are no longer in Wiley . I can't believe that in NYC I cannot find a Wiley doctor! tioqeqa

Anonymous

Yes use it, don't waste time!!! I've been using it for 9 years and I don't need 100 other products. Menopause? Whats that? hahahaha :D I feel incredible!! All the stuff they sell to women for menopause!! you wont need any of it!! including creams for older women's excessively dry skin, Mona Lisa lasers for vaginal atrophy, anti depressants, osteoporosis pills, sleeping medications, inulin resistance diabetes meds, herbal hotflash potions which don't work btw. KY lubricants Or any type of Hair growing, or breaking formulas a shrink, a divorce Lawyer. What you will need. A bigger bra, a sexy dress, and a locking jewelry box for all those diamonds your husband will start buying you. Enjoy your last 50 years !!! Show every one that you were simply a late bloomer! How , How can I look better at 60, than I did at 25??? Feel better than I did in my 40's I don't know; but I simply Just enjoy it!!!

Amen to that!!! What she said gen x ladies, definitely what she said x 1000.

Community

Can't Find Something?

Guide

ASK Moderation Guidelines