Q: 

Have you had experience with the Wiley Protocol?

By March 3, 2009 - 11:15am

Has anyone had experience using the Wiley Protocol of hormone replacement therapy?

It is a method where bioidentical hormones are prescribed and are given transdermally -- through the skin -- in a patent-pending cream. A primary

difference between this protocol and some others is that the hormonal levels rise and fall, similar to the way a woman's normal cycle did when she was still menstruating.

There is some controversy on the web about T.S. Wiley's qualifications for developing a medical protocol, since she is not a doctor herself, she studied anthropology (though she co-authored the book "Sex, Lies, and Menopause" with Julie Taguchi, M.D.)

Some women claim wonderful results; others claim very troubling side effects. Does anyone out there have personal experiences to share?

Anonymous

I would like to share my experience that I had with T.S. Wiley. First of all, she is not a healthcare professional of any type. Second of all, her interaction with those of us who are, leaves a lot to be desired. She is neither interested in learning or being educated on hormonal therapies, or the reality of what her so called "protocol" could mean to certain patients, in the terms of the protocol not being covered by insurance and totally out of pocket to the patient, side effects down the line, or ease of therapy for the provider and patient, as many patients have complained about the constant changes in dosages they have had to make. Trying to talk with T.S. Wiley is like doing a battle of wits with an unarmed person. Her ignorance of clinical pharmacists is profound, thinking all we know is how to mix a few things together and slap it in her special little vaginal syringes. Never mind that she wants pharmacies to render free goods at her whim for those who cannot afford this (what criteria decides this is not known) and she wants protected patient information made known to her on demand. Furthermore, many pharmacies have signed this contract, which is illegal, as your patient information is PROTECTED BY HIPAA LAW. Since T.S. Wiley and her associates are NOT part of your active patient care, she is not entitled to know anything about patient information.
If you are thinking about trying the T.S. Wiley Protocol, remember that you will have a period. When I talked to Wiley about this, she was quite proud that she had a woman 90 years of age who still had a period. She really couldn't answer me when I asked her what the purpose of this was, but she was quite adamant that it was "natural". What is also quite natural Ms. Wiley, is that a woman this age having a period is in danger of anemia, and also if the hormones aren't meticulously balanced, stroke and heart attack.
I urge everyone to think again. I am not saying that you shouldn't gave BHRT during menopause, but be cautious, and ask questions, not just of your physician, but also other health care clinicians in this field. You could be heading for disaster.

Anonymous

I've been on the WIley Protocol -2 for estrogen and standard progesterone for about three months. I get sort of mini-periods - two days, max. I felt wonderful when I first started, but now even on my high estrogen days I feel like it just isn't having an effect. My waist is thickening unattractively and I don't have very good energy. My skin is also going downhill and my sleep is barely OK. My doctor increased the estradiol dosage by one line, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Has anyone else experienced this? The estradiol working at first, and then the effect radically diminishing? What did you do?

Thanks,
Gail

Anonymous

I’ve been on Standard Wiley dose for 12 years. Before going on it, I had terrible hot flashes and felt tired. I would get up in the morning and hobble out of bed, - felt like I was getting fibromyalgia.
I read Wiley’s book first, - made sense to me. Then I started using is and have never looked back.
This summer I tried going on 1/2 dose but found my aches and pains returned. I’m on Wiley for life, - I just feel so much better overall.

Hi Ms. Anonymous, who has been using WIley for 12 years. Would you be willing to speak with me for a few minutes? My doctor is really not very knowledgeable about this. I have been on it for three months and have some questions. Would love to speak with someone who has firsthand experience. If you would let me know how to reach you, or call me to 310 889 9991 i would greatly appreciate it. Gail

Anonymous

I have had an encounter with T.S.Wiley herself. I came away with the understanding that she is ignorant about what certain clinicians know and do and how they interact, as well as refuses to listen to someone educated in the medical field about why women in their 80's and 90's don't need to have periods. Instead of having a productive discussion about menopause, she made it into a defensive arguement, and refused to even listen to evidence-based theories that I and my collegues were presenting on the call. Also, please clinicians, READ THE ENTIRE CONTRACT BEFORE SIGNING! She is asking you to break confidentiality laws by giving her feedback on your patients, as well as giving her free consultations / products for those of you who are compounding her products.

Anonymous

Despite lots of trepidation after all the negative I'd heard about Wiley, I finally started the protocol last week. I've been terribly frustrated with the static low dose hormones that are the standard of care, I felt like I inexorably have been going downhill, and Wiley made sense to me.

Today I am on day 9. I used 7 lines of estradiol this morning. I think that equals 7 mg. The highest dose any conventional doctor ever had me on was 3mg/day, which felt pretty good, but certainly not great.

About 6 hours after applying the estradiol, I was driving home from dinner. I felt energetic, not tired as I usually do by 10pm. I had the urge to drive fast, something that I have not felt in many years. I stepped on the gas, and it was fun. I turned on the music - my old favorite songs. I started singing along, just like I used to. When I got home, I suddenly realized - I was FEELING again! I was excited and happy again, just like I used to be!

I literally burst into tears at the realization. I have not felt this way in probably 7 or 8 years, yet this is me, this is who I clearly recall having been. I did not realize how unhappy I had become, how dead inside, until I suddenly had a taste of how I USED to feel again.

All my doubt about this protocol has been swept away. There is no question in my mind but that this is the result of the estradiol. Nothing else whatsoever has changed in my life. It is impossible for me to feel this GOOD, this NORMAL, and have it be something that could cause cancer or other ill health. My husband even commented on how smooth my skin has started looking. That is not just cosmetic - it is healthy.

Granted, I haven't done the progesterone phase yet, which when people generally say they encounter problems. I may have to experiment with the doses of estradiol and progesterone until I find the amounts that work for my body. But I never intend to be without sufficient estradiol again.

Why does no one TELL women any of this??? I have had to be willing to buck the system, ignore my doctors, and take a chance to find my own way, so that I could feel good. I have no medical training, and so this has been super stressful and anxiety-producing.

To anyone considering Wiley - GO FOR IT!

Gail

Hi
My doctor has been telling me about the Wiley Protocol. I eat extremely well, maintain healthy habits and exercise a lot. However, like you I feel inexorably like I am going down hill. Can't loose fat weight, plagged by hot flashes and generally don't feel good or energetic. I am using bioidentical transdermals but they don't seem to help at all
My Dr. told me Wiley is very controversial and is "cautious" about it...so that freaks me out. I am ready to try anything to feel good/normal.

Anonymous

Please people, give the names of your Dr and your state. It can be helpful for some of us that are searching for doctors! I'm willing to travel if I need to! Also Pharmacies can be useful too! Thanks!

Anonymous

I like the concept of wiley ie changing hormones throughout the month. I was already on bioidenticals for 10 plus years so was feeling ok.
I found that although the bloodwork reflected therapeutic levels, it was too much for my body to handle so am in the process of tweaking the amounts for me. so far I am using 50-65 % of the recommended values which seems to be working in that I feel ok without estrogen dominance symptoms.

Anonymous

I need a NYC doctor . My doctor stopped prescribing it and I'm at my wits end trying to locate one one NYC. I have been on it for years and had never felt better !!! Please anyone out there ?!!!

Community

Can't Find Something?

Guide

ASK Moderation Guidelines