Having prolonged bleeding since started birth control pills to control getting more ovarian cyst

By Anonymous April 8, 2015 - 6:13pm

I am told that I have one ovarian cyst and dr has put me on contraceptive pills from my this periods but I am having bleeding for last nine days ! Is it ok ?

Welcome to EmpowHER and thank you for reaching out to us for help with your concern.

Spotting or breakthrough bleeding can occur while you are taking the active pills. This is a common side effect during the first 3 months of birth control pills use and up to 50% of users may experience this. By the third pack of pills, 90% of women are no longer experiencing spotting.

However, in your case, you have been bleeding for nine consecutive days. Please contact your gynecologist's office and report this. Adjustment to the type of oral contraceptive prescribed may be necessary.