Headaches in Pregnancy

I'm 20 weeks pregnant and having frequent headaches. My blood pressure was low which was triggering migraines a few weeks previously, but even with with a stable bp i'm having headaches (not migraines) almost every day. Is there a common reason for this? And is there anything I can do to stop these headaches?

Thanks for your question and congratulations on your pregnancy!

Headaches ARE common in pregnancy, as are migraines - I suffered both, a lot, in pregnancy.

One of the reasons for this is increasing blood flow in the body during pregnancy and another is the huge increase in hormones.

The good news is that they are most common in the first and second trimesters so hopefully in 4/5 weeks you will see a significant drop in your headaches.

Be careful with medications - never take ibuprofin (Advil) or aspirin in pregnancy (unless medically required for some reason) but the occasional acetaminophen (Tylenol) is ok but check with your doctor first.

Try to de-stress as much as possible by

Warm (not hot) baths
Lots of sleep
Exercise, esp. Yoga, Pilates etc. Swimming is also good.

Eat light veggie/salad type foods as much as you can. Too many stodgy foods can increase the risk of headaches. Drink lots of water.

It's also important to sit and stand properly - don't slump. This can ease tension in your back, neck and head. A professional shoulder, neck and head massage (ask for gift certificates if you have a shower!) can do wonders.

I hope this helps you and again, congrats on your little passenger!

My best,

Can't Find Something?

ASK Moderation Guidelines