Heart Attacks

By October 18, 2008 - 10:17am

My Aunt had a heart attack and I heard that after a heart attack that you tend to have a weaker heart and another heart attack could follow. I was wondering, what can someone do after the first one to prevent future heart attacks?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Cindy
I hope your aunt makes a full recovery! You are right, though - having one heart attack leaves a person more vulnerable to having another.

Staying active, under a doctor's supervision, is vital. So is a heart healthy diet - the Mayo Clinic gives some great advice about that here : http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-healthy-diet/NU00196

Stress reduction and taking heart medications as prescribed, as well as smoking cessation are very important tools.

Aetna has a section that devotes itself to preventing a second heart attack in women; your aunt might find this interesting as it speaks directly to her situation - you can find it here:

I hope this helps!

Heart Disease

Heart Disease Guide