HELP, Got off the Birth Control Pill and i feel like im going crazy!!

My name is Jessica. I have taken birth control pretty much all my life. I have been on it and off it and never had a issue until now. After my second child I decided to get a tubal ligation and therefore I no longer needed to take the pill. Well after about a year I started having weird symptoms. Black hair growing on my chin. hair loss, no energy. Etc. I was tested and it came back that my ovary hormone was to high. So I was placed back on the pill to regulate my hormones. After a year of being on orthotyicyclen I was having issues with my heart beating out of rhythm and went to the hospital a few times because of my heart racing. I was also having issues with my blood sugar. I got off the pills to try and help that. Now I have been off the pills for about 3 months and feel like I’m losing my mind!!!! I have the worst periods. No really cramping bad but I spot and bleed separately. I have days were I cry uncontrollably. No sex drive, then major sex drive. “My poor husband” I feel so bad because I can’t explain to help why I am acting so crazy. Gained almost 20 + pounds. The list go on and on. I feel miserable. I started my period about a week ago. I spotted for about 5 mins. Then didn’t bleed for 4 days. Now the flood gates have opened. I feel week and fuzzy. Like I can’t think straight. I took Midol but no relief. I’m extremely tired today and thought about going home from work because I feel just that bad. My acne is AWEFUL! I'm having cyst like acne bumps that really hurt and last for days. I really want my body to regulate and stay off the pills. Any suggestions???? Any tips to help me while I go through this?

Hi Jessica

Thank you for your post and I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with your health.

Your hormones, as already diagnosed, as the culprit here.

It sounds like you may have a pretty severe case of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a chronic endocrine disorder in women. Characteristics of PCOS are:

High levels of male hormones (androgens)

Ovaries make follicles that hold eggs. With PCOS, the ovaries make the follicles, but the eggs do not mature or leave the ovary. The immature follicles can turn into fluid-filled sacs calledcysts . Most women with PCOS have cysts. But women with ovarian cysts do not necessarily have PCOS.

Jessica, as you see, your blood sugar may be connected to the PCOS and certainly the irregular menstrual cycle and facial hair, and certainly the weight gain.  Acne is also considered a key symptom. In fact, you have nearly all the obvious symptoms. Patchy colored skin can also be seen.

How old are you, Jessica? PCOS usually comes on between the ages of 15-30 but can be later too.

Obviously I cannot diagnose you with anything but all your symptoms are screaming PCOS.

Treatment differs according to whether you want to conceive or not. Treatment targets the underlying insulin resistance that accompanies PCOS diagnosis.

Treatment includes:

• Managing symptoms

• Weight loss if overweight, nutrition consultation

• Exercise

• Insulin resistance, glucose intolerance, and prediabetes management

• Oral contraceptive - a different one may work better for you.

Please go back to your doctor and talk about this to see what can be done. I hope you keep us posted.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Guide