Hemorrhoid that affects vaginal sex

By September 14, 2015 - 1:43pm

Hello, I've scoured the Internet and haven't been able to find any information specific to my issue. Here goes. Thank you in advance for reading!

I recently developed an external hemorrhoid, the vein extends from my anus into my vaginal area. It is painful during intercourse and bleeds and the last time it flared up for nearly a week of debilitating pain. We're talking time off work and lots and lots of sitz baths. Most of the time it doesn't bother me, so I haven't looked into it more. I'm nervous to seek a doctor because I lost my private insurance when I had to leave my job and now only have minimal health coverage (read: state Medicaid).

Has anyone else faced a similar issue with hems? I'm nearly convinced my only option at this point is a hemerrhoidectomy. Any advice? Thank you.

Hi akgirl

Your condition sounds really painful. For now, avoid sex if your hemorrhoids are flaring as this will make everything even worse.

There are several medications you can take to help with hemorrhoids, one being a foam called Proctofoam.

Medicaid should cover an operation if you do really need it (and it sounds like you may) - your doctor can recommend this for you. You can try a free clinic near you (google 'free clinic' and then put your zip code in) . See what they can do.

As well as a hemorrhoidectomy, there is also the option of something called "banding" whereby a band is tied around the hemorrhoid and the blood supply is cut off. The hemorrhoid then dies and falls off.

I hope other women who have experienced this can give you the benefit of their experience.