Hemorrhoid or anal herpes?

By Anonymous December 17, 2015 - 11:55pm

Following one particularly "enthusiastic" vaginal sex session with my ex boyfriend, I developed what I believed to be internal hemorrhoids. There was pain when passing a bowel movement and there was bright red blood on the toilet paper when I wiped. It was also quite itchy during the day. I couldn't see any bumps or blisters around my anus. I used Preparation H suppositories and they immediately provided relief and in a few days I felt better. However, I have recently learned that this ex boyfriend cheated on me while we were together and contracted chlamydia and subsequently gave the to me. Now I am worried I could have contracted something else. How can you tell the difference between internal hemorrhoids and anal herpes? Would the suppositories have provided relief if it wqsnt hemorroids? I've never had anal sex but I've read the two conditions are often confused. Thank you!

The best way to know for sure is to get tested by the doctor. They can do a simple blood test to check for herpes. I contracted herpes from my ex boyfriend, just by receiving oral sex. I have never had anal sex or oral sex around the anal area, yet I have my outbreaks around my anal area. I too thought that it was hemorrhoids, but was told differently by my doctor.

It does sound like you have hemorrhoids rather than herpes and since the medication provided relief, it's likely to be hemorrhoids. These are large, painful veins either outside or inside the anus. Herpes are blister sores caused by sexual contact with an infected person.

But to know for sure and if you're worried about an STI then you'd have to see a doctor. I think you'd be far more inclined to get herpes of your genitals if you were positive for the herpes virus, not anal herpes (and that pain would be really bad!) but only a test will tell for sure. Most doctors could just take a look at your hemorrhoids and tell you right away. Embarrassing but effective!

I'm glad you found out you had chlamydia and got treated. Chlamydia can lead to infertility if not treated. Your ex sounds like a real piece of work - not only to cheat but to give you an infection like this. You're better off without him.