ask: How accurate is a HIV test after 8 weeks of exposure?

By Anonymous November 3, 2012 - 6:22am

Hi, I had an HIV test 8 weeks after exposure and am waiting to go again at 12 weeks. At 8 weeks the test was negative. Would I have experience symptoms of infection by now? (ive been noticing random symptoms like a sharp pain in my chest, an itchy pelvis, dull pain in my pelvis) and wondered if this may be related?

I'm sorry to hear that you have been exposed to HIV. An HIV test will not detect the presence of the HIV virus immediately after exposure. Statistics show that 96% (perhaps higher) of all infected individuals will test positive within 2 to 12 weeks. In some cases, this may take up to six months. It is very important that you re-test in 12 weeks for a more accurate result-- you do not want to skip that test thinking that you're in the clear because it was negative at 8 weeks. 

Wishing you the best!

AIDS / HIV Guide

The CDC says around 56,000 Americans have HIV. Does this affect you in your personal life? :