How can I find more time for myself?

By June 6, 2016 - 11:52am
Stress related image

My days are pretty busy. I go to work from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., pick up my kids from their summer camp, head home, cook dinner, and then eat dinner. Before I know it, it is already 8:30 and I only have an hour before I have to get ready for bed. I just wish I had more time in the day. Is there anyway I can make more time for myself without having to change my schedule or wake up earlier than I already do?

Image via pexels

Hi and welcome to EmpowHER,

I understand that it can be difficult to find time for yourself when your schedule is “go, go, go.” Putting aside time for yourself is important to your health and it can help relieve stress. Take a look at how you spend that hour before you go to bed. Are you spending half of the time on Facebook and the other half watching T.V.? If that’s something you really enjoy then continue doing it, but if not, make sure you utilize that hour the best you can. At 8:30, stop everything else and solely focus on you. Take that time to do something you really enjoy, maybe that’s relaxing and taking a bath or catching up on a book you’re reading.

If there are certain days of the week where you have more time, schedule what you are going to do for yourself beforehand, just to make sure you have set that time aside. Maybe every Thursday could be pizza night. This way you won’t have to cook or clean up after dinner, allowing you to have more time for you. Try to find what works best for you and make yourself a priority.

Here are some articles that I hope will help:

I wish you the best,

Hi Lizaclark

Some periods of our lives can be pretty hectic and you have to give up a lot of personal time.

But good time management can help!

One suggestion is to make meals in advance on weekends and have fruit and veg pre-washed and ready to eat in the fridge. This can save a lot of time. I do this with fruit and veg all the time. It only takes about 20 minutes to wash/peel/chop a lot of produce and place in air tight containers in the fridge. Eating raw is great and saves on cooking time and clean up.

Do you have a husband/partner? If so, make sure they are helping out and if you kids are old enough for chores (ages 4 and up) then their job is to tidy their rooms and put their dirty laundry in the hamper. Start chores with the kids early!

Have them prepare their outfits for the next day so there is less morning rush.

Make the time you have count. Do what you love to do. While it's important to keep up on housework, working out, reading, knitting, art or watching movies is also important. Use the hour or two you have to do what you love. Make sure those around you are helping. Delegate!

A chore chart can also help - yes, even for adults!

Preparing in advance is always easier than playing catchup! I've learned that in my years of parenting. You will always be busy and always have things to do but when you make sure everyone is pulling their weight and working as a team.

You'll find as your kids get older, time starts to shift around. Every phase of parenthood is different. Organization is key.