How can I get my bowels back on track? Please Help!!!

I had laparoscopy done a week and a half ago in which my doctor found endometriosis and two cysts on my ovaries. After the procedure I was given hydrocodone to take for the pain. I was unaware it caused constipation. I've always struggled with constipation but didn't do anything to prevent it because I was unaware of this side effect. I took three doses of the medication and developed severe constipation with an anal fissure and hemeroids. I started taking Miralax and Colace stool softener as well as magnesium citrate. After 3 days of this I developed bad diarrhea. I have since stopped taking those. My anal fissure and hemeroids are almost unbearable. Today I stared having slightly more formed green stools with gas and cramps. What can I do too help my situation and the horrible stabbing pains I get every time I have to go? I am always worried about what I should be eating too.

Thanks for reaching out to us!

Constipation is a real problem when it comes to surgery. It can take some people a couple of weeks or more to get back to normal and then you can go from constipation to diarrhea and back again until your system gets under control.

Anal fissures should clear up on their own. If they don't , there is a foam medication that can be prescribed to you to help with this.

In the meantime, employ a fresh diet with as little processed food as you can. If things don't clear up for you in the next week, consult your doctor but I think you will see improvement within a week.

Thank you very much!

Constipation Guide