Beauty

Beauty Guide

Cary Cook BSN RN

ask: How can I stop biting my nails?

By saradietz

I have a terrible habit of biting my nails. I get them done and within a couple days I have bitten them. A lot of times it happens when I don't even realize it (stress, boredom) all play factors in this. I know it's terrible for my teeth and it's gross.... anyone have any tips on how to STOP doing this terrible habit for good??

saradietz

Thank you for the link Susan I will have to buy that and try it out. I'll do an updated ASK when I do that and give the details.

Michele, thank you for the article link I will definitely have to be more conscious about when I do it.

Jenny, the acrylic tip nails usually do work when I get them but sometimes my nails are so short it looks funny! I'll need to do a trial and error to see what works best.

And Shana, yes I think we need to make regular manicures a habit, you know for testing purposes to see what works best! ;)

Thank you ladies!! All so helpful!

Try this Sara

Especially for nail biters, dreadful taste, good reviews!

http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/Bite-It-The-Easy-Way-To-Stop-Nail...

Shana O'Connor

Sara! I feel you!

I am more of a picker than a biter, but none the less it is one horrible habit.

I go in spurts too with no rhyme or reason. My nails will look great one week and then the next I am on a nail picking binder and I can not stop looking at them, feeling the tips of them and looking for ways to peel just a little layer.

Susan, you're right that gel nail polish gets you to stop picking or biting, but then after it leaves your nails brittle and the process starts all over again!

I suppose it just really takes some effort. Perhaps regular manicures? Happy to start making that a habit with you, Sara :)

Michele Blacksberg RN HERWriter

Hi Sara,  Happened to see your question and remembered I wrote and article about how to stop nail biting here on EmpowHer.  Hope it helps.

http://www.empowher.com/skin-hair-amp-nails/content/nail-biting-how-stop

Jenny Housh HERWriter

Hi Sara!

I think Susan had a great idea: paint your nails.

I used to bite my nails all the time, but then I started getting fake nails (the acrylic tip type), which doesn't allow you to bite them. After a month or two i'm sure you'll forget about biting them!

Let me know if it works!

Jenny

Hi sara!

Nail biting is really common, you are not alone!

Try a special clear nail polish that tastes horrendous and can really turn a person off biting their nails. Any drugstore will have them.

Have you tried gel nail polish - this makes it really hard to bite nails although the process itself isn't really good for the nails.

Here are a list of tips for you - http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/nail-care/tips/5-ways-to-preve...

Need Your Feedback! What health topics would you like to see covered more on EmpowHER.com?: