Ears, Nose & Throat

Ears, Nose & Throat Guide

ask: How do you quickly clear a clogged ear from too much nose blowing?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter

Hello everyone!

A dear friend of mine called me tonight to ask me for some advice on how to fix her clogged-up ear. It seems she is getting over a bad cold and was doing some heavy-duty nose blowing and her left ear feels all funny now. Sort of like when you're on a plane and your ears pop. Hers needs to pop but won't. I thought maybe a decongestant would help her, or opening her mouth as wide as she can--that helps me sometimes when my ears won't pop on a plane. She tried opening her mouth and even moving her jaw back and forth but it didn't do anything.

She said it's hard to hear now in her left ear and it feels very full and has a bit of pressure, so she's hoping to get it back to normal pretty fast. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for her? I also tried to gently remind her not to blow her nose with such force so hopefully this won't happen again. Thanks so much everyone, Michelle

Anonymous

Hold your nose really tight and blow . Right after wait a few minutes and Act like your yawning and it pops . Yes it may cause a little pain but it works . It may still sound a little cloudy but alot less then what it was before

Anonymous

I have a clogged up right ear now for a couple up days now and I pined my nose real tight and it cleared the left ear but not the right one. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Anonymous

I have just recently gotten over a cold, and my left ear has a lot of pressure and a lot of fluid in it. I have read all of the comments and nothing has worked not even holding my nose and blowing. It just won't pop. When I talk or move my jaw in any way there are these tiny popping sounds and it hurts so bad. Is there anything else I can try that hasn't already been suggested? Please help

If you've tried every safe home remedy and nothing worked, just go see a doctor.

Anonymous

Pin your nose together really tight and blow it will hurt and be loud only to you but it help a lot.

Anonymous

Can someone post the steps of the pressing-earlobe trick (the first option: http://kooshad.com/stopped-up-ears/). I am trying it but not sure I am doing it right. I don't understand where this bulb of cartilage is that I'm supposed to feel, which way I'm supposed to be turning/leaning/bending/pressing. Please post, step-by-step!!! I have my ear plugged for a week now and nothing else helps...

I've been suffering with badly clogged ears. I read the piece that you refer to and like you, am baffled by bulbs, bending/etc. I note also that your question has been asked about that article over and over, many times in this thread, without an answer. I would love to see a more detailed description or picture of the process.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

^^ Hi Anon^^

Your link worked - I hope it can help unclog your ear. 

Anonymous

Just laying here on the clogged ear, reading comments until page ten and sucking on a sucker popped my ears lol

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :