Q: 

How do you quickly clear a clogged ear from too much nose blowing?

By Expert HERWriter May 17, 2009 - 9:38pm

Hello everyone!

A dear friend of mine called me tonight to ask me for some advice on how to fix her clogged-up ear. It seems she is getting over a bad cold and was doing some heavy-duty nose blowing and her left ear feels all funny now. Sort of like when you're on a plane and your ears pop. Hers needs to pop but won't. I thought maybe a decongestant would help her, or opening her mouth as wide as she can--that helps me sometimes when my ears won't pop on a plane. She tried opening her mouth and even moving her jaw back and forth but it didn't do anything.

She said it's hard to hear now in her left ear and it feels very full and has a bit of pressure, so she's hoping to get it back to normal pretty fast. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for her? I also tried to gently remind her not to blow her nose with such force so hopefully this won't happen again. Thanks so much everyone, Michelle

Anonymous

I blew my nose (one side at a time) and when I did the right side, something popped and I also had pain deep in ear. I was kind of deaf in that ear for a short time then when it lessened, (and I could hear a bit better) it kind of shudders- like vibrates and whooshes. It's been like that for a month. I do not want to go to doctor. But I read on it and it could have turned into tinnitis - it's like just before you go to yawn and there's like a mini roar or wind sound.. ya know? Would appreciate any advice.

On thanks I had this problem the whole day and got this page through Google.
I had to exaggerate the ears yawning and my left ear is remarkably clearer.

Or could
Be meniers disease... best to get to a ENT dr...

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Never guess when it comes to your health. Since this has persisted for one month, why not call your primary care physician and speak to him or her. If you need to be seen, do it.

Regards,

Anonymous

i have this too but what worked for me if just to unclog your nose and it won't affect your ears anymore because your nose and ears are joined in some way but its completely natural when the cold goes the pop ear thing will go away too but try not to do it so much or it can make your hearing less durable which is bad

Anonymous

I tried several of the suggestions with little to no relief, then I took a decongestant and a applied moist heat (raw rice in a sock works great). Once the heat wasn't scalding, I laid with the bad ear facing down on the heat. In about 10 minutes I felt and heard a pop, yay! I stayed in that position, actually had a cat nap to let anything drain and make sure it worked, and it did. By the way, the traditional "pop your ear" by pinching your nose is what fully blocked mine. Some of the other methods, yawning, pressing at the point by the earlobe and jaw, etc. I think only helped loosen it before applying the heat.

Anonymous

Just hold your nose don't let air out then blow through your mouth without releasing any air. Dont blow to hard and to long or you're going to end up dizzy. Do this until you hear a pop and you're satisfied with your hearing. To pop the other ear, you have to lean the opposite side of your head or ear to your shoulder then do the same.

Anonymous

Hi.
I need help my left ear really hurt bad it doesn't matter if it's cold or not whatever I don't know but over the night around 2am to 3am my nose get dry and I blow my nose hard hard hard so now I feel pain, too much pain and so left my left ear I need help I do not have insurance to see the doctor whoever can help man please help me thanks.

Regardless of insurance, you need an exam. Google free clinics near you, you need to see a doctor - we cannot diagnose anything over the Internet.

Anonymous

I had a clogged right ear for two weeks due to a bacterial infection. As I was blowing my nose really hard both my ears clogged up, but within a hour my left ear cleared up. My right ear ended up being clogged for a week before i gone to the doctors and was prescribed antibiotics. The antibiotics helped me get better, but my right ear was still clogged for another week.

How did I clear up my clogged ear? I did NOTHING. I woke up in the morning and blew both of the gunk out of my left and right nostrils. Slowly, the pressure in my right ear dissipated and i was able to hear after a hour.

Things i tried and didn't work:
- Murine liquid for ear wax. Doesn't help in anyways if your eustachian tube is blocked.
- Pinching my nose, closing my mouth and trying blow through my nose.
- Mutliple showers, and breathing in steam over a bowl of hot water.
- Chewing gum, and Yawning.

I was initially concerned when my doctor said it will heal by itself, but he was right. I just got better and the eustachian tube opened up.