How do you quickly clear a clogged ear from too much nose blowing?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter May 17, 2009 - 9:38pm

Hello everyone!

A dear friend of mine called me tonight to ask me for some advice on how to fix her clogged-up ear. It seems she is getting over a bad cold and was doing some heavy-duty nose blowing and her left ear feels all funny now. Sort of like when you're on a plane and your ears pop. Hers needs to pop but won't. I thought maybe a decongestant would help her, or opening her mouth as wide as she can--that helps me sometimes when my ears won't pop on a plane. She tried opening her mouth and even moving her jaw back and forth but it didn't do anything.

She said it's hard to hear now in her left ear and it feels very full and has a bit of pressure, so she's hoping to get it back to normal pretty fast. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for her? I also tried to gently remind her not to blow her nose with such force so hopefully this won't happen again. Thanks so much everyone, Michelle

Anonymous

So i had this for 3 days, i was living in mono and im a saxophonist which meant my love for music was quickly becoming an annoyance. I tried blowing with my nose closed up which gave me a temporary relief like 1 second. Id tilt my head in the shower which gave me the illusion of a cleasred ear. I used an ear candle to make sure it wasn't wax (my ears are now so clean you could eat out of them). After trying everything i could find i got desperate and started combining them and one of them worked!
If you place your thumb , nail side on your earlobe, horizontally to your ear. Then push into the gap where your jaw begins and with a little force push upwards you might hear a hissing sound., similar to the sound of a shell when you put it to your ear at the beach. Whilst holding this position with one hand keeping that noise going then blow with your other hand covering both nostrils it, hopefully, will pop.
After this i had a series of pops and crackles in both ears and although not yet perfect they are more equal. Clicking my fingers sounds the same in both ears. My inner sound, like the sound of my own voice sounds a little chorus-y but i also get this kind of sound after landing on a flight so maybe its my pressure normalising?
I did this maybe 10 minutes ago and like i said still not 100% but so much better than having one totally clogged ear.

You have no idEAR how much you've saved me!!!!!

Anonymous

Hey Guys
the same thing just happened to me. that's why i was on this page right now. But my advice to whoever else sees this is to hold your ear as soon as it pops and hold it while chewing Something crunchy. After like 5 min. you will hear some air (it may or may not be coming from your ear) then when you hear that ear you turn your head the opposite way OF THE EAR and you may hear all the pressure/ air come out of you. but there will be pain afterwards. so take something for that and get rid of your cold!
tell me if it worked!

How do I hold my ear..?

Anonymous

The way my ear, nose and throat doctors solves the pressure to equalize in my ears is to force a small amount of air into the sinus cavity. In my hearing loss case do to a severe head cold, he has me swallow water while he pinches off nose opening applying the compressed air thru a tube. Just a small shot of air. POP...instantly I can hear again. You can do the same thing at home with turkey baster. Stick it up your nose, pinch off the other nostril, swallow water at the same time, squeeze the baster gently. Pop

This made my other ear clogged

Anonymous

This may sound weird but pour peroxide down your ear and let it sit for a little bit then flip your head over and let it drain. This helps you may hear crackling for a little while but it is well worth it

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Warning: you must dilute the peroxide with equal part warm water. Never pour full strength peroxide into your ear.

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

I've been using peroxide right out of the bottle since I was 14 years old to help clean my ears especially when they are clogged. I'm now 46 and never had ill effects from it. In fact, it's some of the best advice I ever received and offered great relief whenever needed. My ENT told me to do this at the time and I am thankful. I ran it by a recent ENT and he said it would do no harm and in fact is great for stubborn ear wax that products like debrox are not strong enough to remove. The key is to use only when needed. I usually do this every few months or when my ear might feel clogged due to an allergy or cold. Peroxide is cheap, effective old-school method that saves a trip to the doctor. If you are having that much pain after using peroxide then you may have another issue that needs further attention and need to visit the doctor (go to an ENT).

Trying this method peroxide got stuck in my ear and made it hurt so much worse now I'm in alot of pain and I can't stand it