How do you quickly clear a clogged ear from too much nose blowing?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter May 17, 2009 - 9:38pm

Hello everyone!

A dear friend of mine called me tonight to ask me for some advice on how to fix her clogged-up ear. It seems she is getting over a bad cold and was doing some heavy-duty nose blowing and her left ear feels all funny now. Sort of like when you're on a plane and your ears pop. Hers needs to pop but won't. I thought maybe a decongestant would help her, or opening her mouth as wide as she can--that helps me sometimes when my ears won't pop on a plane. She tried opening her mouth and even moving her jaw back and forth but it didn't do anything.

She said it's hard to hear now in her left ear and it feels very full and has a bit of pressure, so she's hoping to get it back to normal pretty fast. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for her? I also tried to gently remind her not to blow her nose with such force so hopefully this won't happen again. Thanks so much everyone, Michelle

Anonymous

The way my ear, nose and throat doctors solves the pressure to equalize in my ears is to force a small amount of air into the sinus cavity. In my hearing loss case do to a severe head cold, he has me swallow water while he pinches off nose opening applying the compressed air thru a tube. Just a small shot of air. POP...instantly I can hear again. You can do the same thing at home with turkey baster. Stick it up your nose, pinch off the other nostril, swallow water at the same time, squeeze the baster gently. Pop

Anonymous

This may sound weird but pour peroxide down your ear and let it sit for a little bit then flip your head over and let it drain. This helps you may hear crackling for a little while but it is well worth it

Trying this method peroxide got stuck in my ear and made it hurt so much worse now I'm in alot of pain and I can't stand it

Anonymous

This has happened to me 4 times during this bad cold I have. It sounds super silly but singing (loudly) made mine go away... Don't laugh too hard at me but my song of choice for this is "unconditionally" by Katy perry because the long notes made a huge difference! Haha happy singing and I hope all your colds go away quickly!

That Helped mines too

Anonymous

I am on this site because my ears are so full of pressure and pain from a bad head cold. there is no way to unblock it with these silly recipes. it' s fliud in the ear from my sinus. I went online and found a few helpful hints. A a hot steam shower for 20 minutes.... that helped so much.... took advil. next i am going to get an antihistamine to relieve the swelling and fluid. Then all you can do is drink a lot of fluids and rest, then wait it out.. A cold is a cold. it’s best to catch the cold right away before it comes out and use a netty pot.. Then take vitamin C all winter and zinc.. I was away and did none of those and I am paying the price big time. IMPORTANT: AVOID ALL DAIRY !!! This makes it all worse. You will cough up flem for a month. Dairy creates mucus.

Anonymous

I get relief from eating something cold such as ice cream. I don't know why or how that works, but I get relief most of the time. Hope this helps.

remember, you don't want to eat ANYTHING dairy if you have a cold. it makes more mucus!!.. stay off all dairy products until you are well.

You means to say STAY AWAY FROM PASTEURIZED DAIRY! Raw milk dairy products are great for you, properly sourced. They do not create mucus, you can drink raw milk if you are lactose intolerant too, because it still contains lactate, which cancels out lactose. But pasteurized poison milk, sold all throughout American stores, is full of dead bugs (enzymes) will of course will not be healthy for you. Not to mention all this 'ultra pasteurized' stuff which allows the milk to be handled with absolute miscare, well you could very well be eating cow feces, and whatever else. But it is "Ultra Pasteurized" now isn't it, so it's all safe! ;) along with all the hormones and whatever else they pump into the cows. But like a said if you get RAW milk from a proper source grass fed and well treated and loved, from a local dairy/farmer, skipping the middle man. That would be the way to go. Drink all the milk you want, along with all the perks of raw milk ;)!

Where do you find this hogwash? Lactose intolerant people are impacted by milk regardless of whether it was pasteurized for safety or is raw aka at risk for transmitting listeria. Do you keep your beef on the counter to protect it from the 'dangers' or refridgeration too? Yeesh.

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :