Ears, Nose & Throat

Ears, Nose & Throat Guide

ask: How do you quickly clear a clogged ear from too much nose blowing?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter

Hello everyone!

A dear friend of mine called me tonight to ask me for some advice on how to fix her clogged-up ear. It seems she is getting over a bad cold and was doing some heavy-duty nose blowing and her left ear feels all funny now. Sort of like when you're on a plane and your ears pop. Hers needs to pop but won't. I thought maybe a decongestant would help her, or opening her mouth as wide as she can--that helps me sometimes when my ears won't pop on a plane. She tried opening her mouth and even moving her jaw back and forth but it didn't do anything.

She said it's hard to hear now in her left ear and it feels very full and has a bit of pressure, so she's hoping to get it back to normal pretty fast. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for her? I also tried to gently remind her not to blow her nose with such force so hopefully this won't happen again. Thanks so much everyone, Michelle

Anonymous

Most clogs go away on their own. if not, or if pain or discharge....See a doctor!

Anonymous

this might help new comers: http://creativechristianmama.com/natural-remedies-for-ear-infection/

Anonymous

Cut it off. That usually works for me

Anonymous

I am reading comments about some thumb/nose/jaw tecnique that REALLY works, yet I CAN'T find a description of the tecnique!!!! Help! My left ear has been clogged for a week! I'm on Augmentin for sinus infection, I had to fly at the beginning of this cold, and also did some deep snorkeling. My ear is a mess!!!

From another Anonymous:

My own remedy is to place the thumb sideways on that little hanging bit of skin where earrings commonly go and gently push into the jaw while also pushing up toward the top of the ear (you should feel a little knob of cartilage there). Then slowly tilt that ear toward the ground and hold your head sideways until it opens up. It usually takes just a few seconds,

Anonymous

I am getting over a cold and my left ear has been so plugged for almost a week I felt like I was going deaf! I had tried everything! I just did the earlobe jaw press thing and got upset because it didn't work and then I blew my nose and it unplugged!!!! Oh thank you so much!!!!! Lets hope it stays that way!

Anonymous

OMG! That thumb to lobe to jaw toground really worked! I thought I was going to die because I got on a plane with A stopped up nose an d during the descend felt excruciating clogged ear pain! I tried ur remedy and now feel so much relief! Thank God for you!

Shaunda

Tv

Anonymous

DO NOT hold your nose close your mouth and suck in. my friend did this and his eye popped out. Not funny

Anonymous

My right ear and eustation tube has been intermittently clogged since 1996, have asked many doctors about it. this method seemed to work for me. Hallelujah ! and THANKS !

Anonymous

I have the same problem of sore ear, neck and jaw from trying the pushing thing. Any more clear suggestions?

Does the thought of doing your taxes stress you out?: