ask: How do you quickly clear a clogged ear from too much nose blowing?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter

Hello everyone!

A dear friend of mine called me tonight to ask me for some advice on how to fix her clogged-up ear. It seems she is getting over a bad cold and was doing some heavy-duty nose blowing and her left ear feels all funny now. Sort of like when you're on a plane and your ears pop. Hers needs to pop but won't. I thought maybe a decongestant would help her, or opening her mouth as wide as she can--that helps me sometimes when my ears won't pop on a plane. She tried opening her mouth and even moving her jaw back and forth but it didn't do anything.

She said it's hard to hear now in her left ear and it feels very full and has a bit of pressure, so she's hoping to get it back to normal pretty fast. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for her? I also tried to gently remind her not to blow her nose with such force so hopefully this won't happen again. Thanks so much everyone, Michelle

Anonymous

I just continually swallow which helps to make my ears feel normal again.

Anonymous

the best way that worked for me was pinching my nose then blowing my nose as hard as i could. at first it didnt work but i tried again later and it finally cleared up! you can keep trying after it clears up to make sure its open all the way. its just pressure in your ear.

My left ear was clogged. I tried your method and it messed up my right ear :( Now I have 2 clogged ears.

The holding the nose thing worked so well. I am on antibiotics for a sinus infection. And the blowing is a severe constant. Yawning and the moving of the mouth usually works but not this time. Thanks

Anonymous

I pour a bit of Hydrogen Poroxide in my ear and let it sit for a while, then put a cotton ball in. I have had to do that a few times but it opened up my ears!

Anonymous

Where do u get the oil of Oregonal oil from..?

Anonymous

I'm battling a majorly clogged ear problem from just landing a flight while being congested. I took meds and nasal spray before/during the flight but still screwed up my ears big time. I tried every trick in the book and nothing's working. Finally I dropped some oil of oregano under my tongue. It tastes awful but it's the best cure for a cold and I feel my ears finally starting to equalize!! You can get it at the drug store or natural food store and it's a miracle for colds that works in about 5 minutes!

Anonymous

I know this could possibly be extremely dangerous, but I took a tooth pick from a restaurant and cleaned my ear a little. Water spilled right out and now it's unclogged. I know that you should never stick anything in your ear, try at your own risk!!

THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS. This does not just normally clear out your ear. This ruptured your ear drum. That can cause temporary or permanent damage to your hearing. Please, do not attempt this!

Anonymous

Take your fingernail and kind of push into your ear. If that doesn't work, pinch your nose and blow. Last but not least, if that doesn't work get a mug of salt water and gargle. Take 1 minute breaks in between to see if it has popped again. Thanks for reading!!

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :