Ears, Nose & Throat

Ears, Nose & Throat Guide

ask: How do you quickly clear a clogged ear from too much nose blowing?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter

Hello everyone!

A dear friend of mine called me tonight to ask me for some advice on how to fix her clogged-up ear. It seems she is getting over a bad cold and was doing some heavy-duty nose blowing and her left ear feels all funny now. Sort of like when you're on a plane and your ears pop. Hers needs to pop but won't. I thought maybe a decongestant would help her, or opening her mouth as wide as she can--that helps me sometimes when my ears won't pop on a plane. She tried opening her mouth and even moving her jaw back and forth but it didn't do anything.

She said it's hard to hear now in her left ear and it feels very full and has a bit of pressure, so she's hoping to get it back to normal pretty fast. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for her? I also tried to gently remind her not to blow her nose with such force so hopefully this won't happen again. Thanks so much everyone, Michelle

Anonymous

I just tried this and the first option finally relieved that annoying ringing and pressure in my ears from blowing my nose too hard! Good luck! http://kooshad.com/stopped-up-ears/

Anonymous

I woke up with a clogged ear this morning due to a cold. I took a decongestant and a hot shower, which helped a little. So I googled for help and came up with the Valsalva Manuever. Just pinch your nostrils closed and blow gently. My ear isn't completely cleared up but that definitely helped. I hope your friend feels better soon, this years bug is really bad.

Anonymous

Anonymous

Can someone help me,I'm just getting over a cold and I'm left with this blocked ear and I was just wondering how do I get it back to normal again?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Anon

Please read through this thread, you will find many suggestions there.

Anonymous

My ear has seemed to been clogged for 5 years now and I've tried everything. I recently joined the military but couldn't go on further because of my ear. I've always had this ringing in my ear and that's what causes me to fail the hearing test. Someone told me to that I might have conductive hearing.

Anonymous

The same thing happened to me yesterday. I am also getting over a cold and had the same problem. I had lots of fluid and pressure in my ear. I was blowing my nose (with much force, may I add,) and it popped!

Anonymous

Both my ears have been clogged for over a month.. I think I developed allergies... Anyway, I've had two rounds of antibiotics, used RX steroid ear drops, and continually take decongestants and antihistimines.. My ears do pop, but neither stays open, and the "ringing" could drive one insane.. My hearing has improved, but does it take a long time for ears to completely open?

Anonymous

this was really helpful. i've put some of the helpful comments in http://kooshad.com/stopped-up-ears/

Anonymous

I just had a plugged up ear then laying on the opposite ear for like 3 minutes then plugging my nose and blowing.