ask: How do you quickly clear a clogged ear from too much nose blowing?

By Michelle King Robson Expert HERWriter

Hello everyone!

A dear friend of mine called me tonight to ask me for some advice on how to fix her clogged-up ear. It seems she is getting over a bad cold and was doing some heavy-duty nose blowing and her left ear feels all funny now. Sort of like when you're on a plane and your ears pop. Hers needs to pop but won't. I thought maybe a decongestant would help her, or opening her mouth as wide as she can--that helps me sometimes when my ears won't pop on a plane. She tried opening her mouth and even moving her jaw back and forth but it didn't do anything.

She said it's hard to hear now in her left ear and it feels very full and has a bit of pressure, so she's hoping to get it back to normal pretty fast. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for her? I also tried to gently remind her not to blow her nose with such force so hopefully this won't happen again. Thanks so much everyone, Michelle

Anonymous

I pour a bit of Hydrogen Poroxide in my ear and let it sit for a while, then put a cotton ball in. I have had to do that a few times but it opened up my ears!

Anonymous

Where do u get the oil of Oregonal oil from..?

Anonymous

I'm battling a majorly clogged ear problem from just landing a flight while being congested. I took meds and nasal spray before/during the flight but still screwed up my ears big time. I tried every trick in the book and nothing's working. Finally I dropped some oil of oregano under my tongue. It tastes awful but it's the best cure for a cold and I feel my ears finally starting to equalize!! You can get it at the drug store or natural food store and it's a miracle for colds that works in about 5 minutes!

Anonymous

I know this could possibly be extremely dangerous, but I took a tooth pick from a restaurant and cleaned my ear a little. Water spilled right out and now it's unclogged. I know that you should never stick anything in your ear, try at your own risk!!

THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS. This does not just normally clear out your ear. This ruptured your ear drum. That can cause temporary or permanent damage to your hearing. Please, do not attempt this!

Anonymous

Take your fingernail and kind of push into your ear. If that doesn't work, pinch your nose and blow. Last but not least, if that doesn't work get a mug of salt water and gargle. Take 1 minute breaks in between to see if it has popped again. Thanks for reading!!

Thankyou so much it help somewhat! Just gentily not too harsh and then force a yawn.

Anonymous

She can use essential oils to help her unclog it. Using one or both of two different methods seem to help me. One is to take a bowl of hot water and use the steam method (with the towel over head for about 20 minutes) but use about 2 drops each of peppermint, eucalyptus and rosemary essential oils in the water.

The 2nd method is to use a carrier oil such as coconut oil and mix it with a drop each of peppermint, eucalyptus and lemon essential and rub it on the side of the ear. There are videos in you tube that demonstrate this, so if she decides to go that route (which is a great method) then she might want to watch the video first.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous

Hold your nose really tight and blow . Right after wait a few minutes and Act like your yawning and it pops . Yes it may cause a little pain but it works . It may still sound a little cloudy but alot less then what it was before

Anonymous

I have a clogged up right ear now for a couple up days now and I pined my nose real tight and it cleared the left ear but not the right one. Any suggestions?

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :