Q: 

How do you quickly clear a clogged ear from too much nose blowing?

By Expert HERWriter May 17, 2009 - 9:38pm

Hello everyone!

A dear friend of mine called me tonight to ask me for some advice on how to fix her clogged-up ear. It seems she is getting over a bad cold and was doing some heavy-duty nose blowing and her left ear feels all funny now. Sort of like when you're on a plane and your ears pop. Hers needs to pop but won't. I thought maybe a decongestant would help her, or opening her mouth as wide as she can--that helps me sometimes when my ears won't pop on a plane. She tried opening her mouth and even moving her jaw back and forth but it didn't do anything.

She said it's hard to hear now in her left ear and it feels very full and has a bit of pressure, so she's hoping to get it back to normal pretty fast. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for her? I also tried to gently remind her not to blow her nose with such force so hopefully this won't happen again. Thanks so much everyone, Michelle

Anonymous

That trick posted on page 16 worked. I honestly can't believe it. I wish I had this trick when I was having this issue for months a while ago. But it solved my problem that just started a couple days ago.

To reiterate, this is what you do:
Place your thumb behind your ear lobe. Feel for the piece of cartilage that is really the bottom of your ear. Press your thumb both towards your jaw and also upwards so that you are slightly compressing your ear canal. Then slowly tilt your head sideways so that the ear your thumb is on is closest to the ground. Hold in that position.

Works wonders.

Anonymous

I blew my nose (one side at a time) and when I did the right side, something popped and I also had pain deep in ear. I was kind of deaf in that ear for a short time then when it lessened, (and I could hear a bit better) it kind of shudders- like vibrates and whooshes. It's been like that for a month. I do not want to go to doctor. But I read on it and it could have turned into tinnitis - it's like just before you go to yawn and there's like a mini roar or wind sound.. ya know? Would appreciate any advice.

I realize this post was from a while ago but sounds like a perforated eardrum. I had the same issue.

On thanks I had this problem the whole day and got this page through Google.
I had to exaggerate the ears yawning and my left ear is remarkably clearer.

Or could
Be meniers disease... best to get to a ENT dr...

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Never guess when it comes to your health. Since this has persisted for one month, why not call your primary care physician and speak to him or her. If you need to be seen, do it.

Regards,

Anonymous

i have this too but what worked for me if just to unclog your nose and it won't affect your ears anymore because your nose and ears are joined in some way but its completely natural when the cold goes the pop ear thing will go away too but try not to do it so much or it can make your hearing less durable which is bad

Anonymous

I tried several of the suggestions with little to no relief, then I took a decongestant and a applied moist heat (raw rice in a sock works great). Once the heat wasn't scalding, I laid with the bad ear facing down on the heat. In about 10 minutes I felt and heard a pop, yay! I stayed in that position, actually had a cat nap to let anything drain and make sure it worked, and it did. By the way, the traditional "pop your ear" by pinching your nose is what fully blocked mine. Some of the other methods, yawning, pressing at the point by the earlobe and jaw, etc. I think only helped loosen it before applying the heat.

Anonymous

Just hold your nose don't let air out then blow through your mouth without releasing any air. Dont blow to hard and to long or you're going to end up dizzy. Do this until you hear a pop and you're satisfied with your hearing. To pop the other ear, you have to lean the opposite side of your head or ear to your shoulder then do the same.

Anonymous

Hi.
I need help my left ear really hurt bad it doesn't matter if it's cold or not whatever I don't know but over the night around 2am to 3am my nose get dry and I blow my nose hard hard hard so now I feel pain, too much pain and so left my left ear I need help I do not have insurance to see the doctor whoever can help man please help me thanks.