Fibromyalgia

Fibromyalgia Guide

ask: How long does Effexor RX take to withdraw from?

By Gbear

I started going thru withdrawal slowly as per GP advice but it was horrendous so she told me to just quit cold turkey.....it has now been over a month since I quit but I am still having the woozy head.....how much longer will this go on for?? It is horrible :( *I was prescribed effexor for fibromyalgia

Gbear

Hi Susan & Daisy, Thank you both for your replies.

My doctor had me taking my dose (150mg) every other day. I did this for about 3 weeks, and I started told her how bad the withdrawals were so she told me that I may as well just stop taking them altogether and get it done with because she wants to try me on something else. It has now been a month cold turkey and I haven't been back to the doctors....and I'm not sure I want to lol Not once did she ever tell me that this drug is tricky to get off, not once ....and even when she first said about withdrawing slowly she still did not mention any side effects and the next time I was in to see her (for something unrelated) I told her about it and she said "oh yes, I have had a few patients say that" as if I had just told her that ice cream gives me a headache! So....I think a new doctor is in order as there are a few things I am unhappy with not just the lack of care and info given to me in this situation.

Thanks again I will let you all know how I go :)

Hi Gbear

Just to add - this medication is not to be stopped cold turkey - as Daisy said, it's can be dangerous. I'm really surprised your doctor advised this. I quit a medication like this cold turkey and it was absolutely horrendous and my doctor said I should have contacted her and never done it.

You need to wean off this very slowly - this my doctor recommended an 8 week withdrawal recently (for Effexor, I take it seasonally), to begin in March. And I am on the lowest dose.

I would also recommend you call to make sure you're ok. Cold turkey can take 4-6 weeks. It took me 5 weeks of the most dreadful side effects - never again! If you are down to "just" feeling not yourself, you likely only have another week or two to go but please put a call in nonetheless.

Let us know an update when you can!

Anonymous

Hi Gbear,

Welcome to EmpowHER.  Stopping any SSRI's cold turkey can cause many symptoms.  It's important to let your doctor know how you feel since you stopped taking this medication.  

Daisy