How long does makeup last before it expires?

By July 12, 2014 - 10:21am

I've heard that makeup has an expiration date and can cause skin breakouts if you use it past that date. How long should I be keeping my makeup before I throw it away? Are there different expiration dates for different kinds of makeup?

Hi sara,

Some makeup brands have a use-by date. Consider sticking with these brands. 

Three months should be the average use by date for makeup like mascara. Mascara should be thrown out by three months as it's used daily and will clump in 2-3 months. Throw it out when it clumps pretty well. 

Also, make sure you don't pump your mascara wand into the container. This encourages bacteria. Move your wand gently to move the mascara around before applying. 

Most other makeup has a shelf-life of about 1-2 years including foundation and eye shadows. 

Anytime your makeup smells bad (or even different) throw it out. Same of changes in color. Keep your make up bag clean and keep all the lids on your makeup. This helps prevent the spread of bacteria. Never share makeup!  This can lead to conjunctivitis (pink eye), cold sores (herpes) and more. 

And remember - when in doubt - throw it out! 

Beauty Guide