HPV genotyping

Hello, I was diagnosed with CIN3 and AIS in July, I had a cone biopsy done and 3 months later had HPV genotyping done. Everyone told me I absolutely have a HR form of HPV. However to my surprise I have 1 type of HPV and its considered low risk!? Its type CP6108. I am 31, I have been married for 7 years, both faithful. The last 2 years i have had abnormal paps but no new partners. I was wondering if I did have a dormant HR hpv type would the genotyping been able to pick it up anyway? In other words is it really possible i have only one type of HPV and that a low risk type caused my CIN3 and AIS?

Thanks for reaching out to EmpowHER!

CIN3 means you have some strong changes to your cervical cells (CIN2 and CIN1 being less and cancer is unlikely.)

AIS is also a pre-cancerous condition that with treatment, isn't likely to cause cancer.

There are many strains of HPV - some far more high risk that others. Genotyping should pick up the strains regardless of high or low risk.

HPV virus 61 is indeed low risk and doesn't cause cancer although it does show some changes in cervical cells so the fact that you also have CIN3 (major changes) is odd.

The only thing I can think of is that a mistake was made, either in testing or in data entry.

You will have to ask your doctor about why you have low risk HPV that does not cause cancer, yet CIN3 that can cause cervical cancer if not treated. The connection doesn't make sense.

I'm sorry I can't answer this for you (due the reasons above) but it'd be great if you updated us as to why you are getting the results you are.

Genital Warts

Genital Warts Guide