I am 62 and I have been a widow for two years. I went through menopause without hormone replacement therapy and developed severe vaginal atrophy. This ruined our sex life the last few years of my husband's life, so I have been celibate for at least

By September 16, 2013 - 7:16pm

a decade. I recently met a man I want to be sexual with, but my condition makes it literally impossible. The gynecologist I saw last week said HRT is not prescribed to women over 60, due to health risks. I am willing to take the risk in order to enjoy love and sex again. What can I do?

Hi Rhiannon

Vaginal atrophy is quite common after menopause (or certain other times) unfortunately.

There are over-the-counter options like lubricants (there are many, many lubricants on the market now - use one that is water based) and  vaginal moisturizers like Replens. You can also employ lots of foreplay and/or vibrators to help stimulation.

If your doctor is not willing to prescribe estrogen to you, that is her right but there may be other doctors who will, as long as you are aware of the risks. There are estrogen creams that you may want to look into.They are much better than the regular treatments because less reaches into the blood stream. The pellet kind can be placed into the vagina like a tampon (that melts) or a cream can be put into your vagina, kind of like how you would use a yeast infection cream - with an applicator. You can also have a ring inserted into you. These are considered safer alternatives. Have you considered these creams?

Rhiannon, also bear in mind that lack of sex for 10 years will cause your vagina to become less elastic so it may take many tries to get back on the the old horse again.

Has this helped?