I am having a hysterectomy in a couple of weeks. Should I keep my ovaries?

I am 44 years old and am scheduled to have a hysterectomy in a couple of weeks. I am trying to decide if I should keep my ovaries or not. In 2005, I had a breast augmentation. Some of my breast tissue looked odd so the surgeon sent it to the lab. Turns out the tissue was pre-cancerous termed atypical ductal hyperplasia and the tissue was hormone positive. After that, I went on Tamoxifen for 5 years. I have mammograms every year and a breast MRI every other year to stay on top of things. If I remove the ovaries during the hysterectomy, I know it will lower my breast cancer risk, but I am really worried about plunging into menopause. I would not be able to take HRT. My mother did not go through menopause until her mid 50's. Your opinion on what I should do would be so appreciated. I've discussed this with my oncologist, the gyn, and a genetic counselor, but they all just seem to agree with my concerns and they are not helping me make a decision.

To be honest, we're not going to be able to give you an answer either because the decision must be up to you.

Yes, if you remove your ovaries your breast cancer risk is lowered - something to think very seriously about. But yes, you will also go straight into menopause without the ability to take HRT. This may be a very difficult time for you but nobody dies from menopause but they do from breast cancer. That's hard to hear but it's true.

On the other hand, you are very vigilant about your breast health but the risk is always going to be there.

Do you worry a lot about the risk of breast cancer? Does it affect your life? Then maybe you should consider having the ovaries removed but remember that having them removed is no guarantee that you will never get breast cancer.

If you are ok with living knowing that you carry an extra risk but remain very conscious about testing, self-breast exams etc, then that may be best for you.

Bottom line - it's your body and your choice. I think both choices have merit but both also have downsides. I wish I could (or a doctor could) just make the right decision for you but none of us can.

I am sure I have only told you what you have been told before and I'm sorry for that but it's a decision that can only come from you.

I hope to hear back from you!

Breast Cancer

Breast Cancer Guide