I am losing my eyelashes and 1 eyebrow

Ever since my son was born,(almost 7 years ago), my eyelashes have fallen out. They eventually do grow back, but always fall out again. A couple years ago, my left eyebrow also started thinning out, and is now half gone. Again, it will grow back, but will fall out again. My Dr. has no answer for me, and one specialist actually told me I was just "weird". What could be causing this and how can I fix it? I am pretty self conscious about it and just want to be "normal" again.

The term for lost eyelashes (and sometimes eyebrows) is Madarosis and this can happen after having a baby. However, it's not always permanent and yours seems to be, as well as one of your eyebrows - losing hair other than your eyelashes may be alopecia issue.

It can also be caused by an infection. 

Dismiss the doctor who called you weird - clearly this was his way of admitting he was clueless and blamed you instead.

Have you seen a dermatologist?

Thank you Susan. I haven't seen a dermatologist yet, I'm a single mom and don't have a lot of extra money. I figured this is minor compared to my son's needs, so it's been on the back burner, but my eyelashes haven't beem growing back as quickly in recent months, and neither has my eyebrow.

You're welcome Anon.

I totally understand about the financial aspect and you are a great mom for putting your baby first. I know most moms do this but many others don't! 

This does sound like a dermatological issue so when you have enough money, try to find a dermatologist who has reasonable rates and be seen.

Thank you for your advice and your kind words :) I will work on getting in to a dermatologist soon!

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Guide