I am mother of three kids having a problem about my second baby

By December 12, 2009 - 3:21am

My second baby is three years old and three months but my problem about him is he is very energetic and he never talk only a few words like papa and mama, bye and dada. what do you think if he is a special baby or othistic.

Hi Jayne

Thanks so much for your question! I have a child the exact same age - it's such a fun age, isn't it?

We cannot tell you if the problem is autism or a speech delay or something else going on cognitively.

However, your child does need a full evaluation and make the appointment quickly, because such delay at 3 years and 3 months may be a simple speech delay or could be something that early intervention can make all the difference. Autism is an example of a condition that can see remarkable results with early intervention.

Is anything else delayed (potty training, making choices, eye contact)?

Is he playing well, does he enjoy building blocks and being read to and running outside? How is his interaction with others? Little? A lot? How does he communicate to you that he is hungry or thirsty or needs to go to the bathroom or wants to go outside?

Please update a little with these questions but do make an appointment for an evaluation as soon as possible. And take heart - all children develop in their own time and way. Some come in to their own later than others and some need intervention to help them along. Thank you so much for your question and your concern for your little one. I hope to hear more from you soon.

My child is playing with his two brothers but when we control him of fighting his two brothers he is always crying for almost an hour before he stops. If he is hungry or thirsty he just pointing those things he wants or hold my hands and he wants me to follow him. he is so very funny. He never look at my eyes while i am talking and he is so very sttuborn but he is so very sweet.