I don't feel like or think that I'm pregnant... but I'm confused? Please help!

By August 4, 2011 - 8:52am

I've been off of birth control for two months now... my periods start on Wednesdays when I'm on birth control but last month when I got off it started on the Sunday following... so technically 4 days late. I should have started my next cycle 4 days ago on Sunday, now it's Thursday and I haven't started. I have no pregnancy symptoms and have taken pregnancy tests, one two days before missed period and one yesterday, three days after missed period. They were both negative. I've kept a tampon in just in case and whenever I take them out they have brown discharge on them... for the past three days or so. There have also been times when there has been bright red blood, and a little red discharge. But this morning it seemed as if it had all stopped, except for a little more brown (sorry if tmi). I've been stressed out this past month... I quit my job that I've had for over three years and started a new one. I also pulled my pectorals behind my breasts somehow, and my schedule has been different as far as sleeping, I had a music workshop at my school a few weeks ago and had to be up early and work hard all day. And I've also been stressing about whether or not I'm pregnant, because I would definitely prefer not to be. Does anyone have any suggestions about why I'm late or what to do?

Sorry so many questions, I've just been looking things up online and everyone is different... some things I read said that implantation bleeding could be red. Just took another test, it was negative, 4 days late. I'm on birth control again, since this past Sunday. Spotting seems to be pretty much gone now.

HERWriter Guide (reply to moriahriley)

Try not to look into every single option (like if you have a slight headache - reading too much about it could end up with you thinking you have a brain tumor when it's really just a headache!).

We have answered your questions as best we can, anything else is kind of repeating the same stuff. We can't tell you if you are pregnant or if the bleeding was implantation bleeding. The only other thing I can advise you is to call your doctor and get a blood test to ease your mind.

Let us know the outcome if you decide to do that and good luck!

Hi moriahriley

The first three months+ after the Pill are often irregular for some (or many) women. Give yourself another couple of months to become more regular. Did you have a regular cycle before you went on the Pill?

It sounds like your period is on it's way or just very light this month. If you do not want to get pregnant, just make sure you are using another kind of very reliable method of birth control. If you are doing this already, the likelihood of you being pregnant is very low.

I've taken several tests... would it have shown up by now being late or is it probably just the stress I was talking about?

HERWriter Guide (reply to moriahriley)

It's probably a combination of coming off the pill and possibly your stress. If your tests are negative you are likely fine. The only pain is that you'll have to carry around a pad or tampon until your next period comes!

I didn't have a regular cycle... I had slight cysts before going on the pill and was normally irregular, I've just been on it for so long I've forgotten. I got birth control again and started it this past Sunday when I was supposed to start my period. I have had some unprotected sex in the past month... pull out method, which I know isn't very effective, but my boyfriend always makes sure to pull out way before he's ready. I've had a late period a few times getting on and off of the Pill... But never the spotting. However, I think it would be too late for implantation bleeding, and also the fact that it hasn't been just a few spots. I always have brown spotting before my period but it usually is just the day of and my period comes on... Now I've been brown spotting for 3 days with the occasional red.

HERWriter Guide (reply to moriahriley)

Hi again and thanks for the update!

It does sound like irregularity. As you know, you need to be very careful with the pullout method and because you are irregular, it's a risky form of birth control because ovulation times are not regular either.

If you have more worries, feel free to take a pregnancy test!