I don't know if I got bitten by a bed bug or mosquito or something else

Yesterday, I woke up with a bug bite on my back about the size of a mosquito bite, however it only sort of itches and also kind of hurts, like a mosquito bite that has been healing for a while. I usually sleep on my back, so Im not sure how any kind of bug could get there except a bed bug, but it also doesn't look like a bed bug bite. Are there any other possibilities?

Hi Anonymous and thanks for your question.

It's very possible that you have a mosquito bite. They show up as an itchy round, red, or pink skin bump.Bed bug bites show up as a raised, red skin bump or welt that is extremely itchy and inflamed.

Bed bugs don't usually travel alone, so if you had a bed bug infestation you would likely have more bites. Please see Bed Bug FAQs for more information.

One thing you might try is a Google search for photos of bug bites and then comparing your bite against those images. If you do, and that tells you what you have, will you let us know?

Skin Rash

Skin Rash Guide