I had a vertical banding bariatric surgery in 1998. Now I have scar tissue that is closing my stomach outlet.

By March 19, 2010 - 5:50pm

My insurance has an erisa clause and will not help me. If I don't have surgery to fix it I could die if it closes the rest of the way. I've been restricted to only liquid diet. I'm scared no one will help me the surgeon I saw wants $25,000 prepay to help me any further. Any advice?

So apparently I just had to go to a big city to get the help I needed! I went to Indianapolis and found a gastro doctor who specialises in the surgery that I previously had. He was able to help me via endoscopy. Stretched the outlet. He found a loose staple in me which was causeing a great deal of issues as well. Now I don't have to have a gastric bypass! I am relieved. I have been through enough!

Hi Kimderr

Thanks for your question/share and I am disgusted that a down payment of $25,000 is needed to safe someone's life. This is insanity and I am so sorry for your predicament.

You need to contact several people. Write directly to the head surgeon of the department who is working with you as well as the hospital administer. State your case emphatically.

Also, there are many hospitals who will perform this surgery for you without cost or at a very drastic sliding scale.

I tend to be very aggressive in these matters so would also suggest writing to your local congressman/woman and let them know what is happening. I'd also contact television stations but I know that many would not be comfortable with this kind of exposure. But if your life is at risk, you may need to.

If you would like to tell us where you live, we can help you in this. There may be experimental surgeries you can look into, or surgeons/doctors who take on take on a number of pro bono cases every year.

Another idea is to find a pro bono attorney who will contest your insurance company's inhumane policies. Please send a private message or let us know where you live here and we'll help guide you to empowering yourself. Something like this should never happen in this country and we ought to be ashamed it does.

I look forward to hearing more from you!

Bariatric Surgery

Bariatric Surgery Guide