I have been on and off the contraceptive pill for about 3 years now and I always skip the sugar pill (so at one point I went nearly a year without having a period) Is this harmful for my health? What are the negative effects of doing this?

Also when I went extended periods of time skipping the sugar pill I would get a 'light' period what does this mean?

There should be no side effects to not having a period at all due to skipping the placebo pills.

I'm not sure what you mean when you then say you get a "light period" by skipping the pills - that contradicts what you first said but let me know if I'm not understanding your question properly.

Hi thank you,
Well when I am on the pill skipping the sugar pill after a while I will get a light period at random and last time is lasted nearly 3 or more weeks, it was very light but I was skipping the sugar pill so I don't know why I was bleeding ?

Thanks for the clarification!

Some women do randomly have light bleeding but it could be due to sex without lubrication or rough sex or could be some kind of internal bleeding that needs to be seen by a doctor. It could also be an infection. Light bleeding for 3 weeks is not normal so it's a good idea to get it checked out.