i have developed bursitis in my elbow about 2 months after having a rotator cuff repair. Is there a link between the two or is it just co-incidence

By Anonymous December 23, 2010 - 6:34pm

The post-operative exercises I have to do include rotating my arm outwards with a bent elbow (90 degrees). Will this irritate the elbow and prolong the bursitis? I've had the condition for 4 weeks and it shows no sign of going away. So far I don't think there is any infection as the swollen part of the elbow is not inflamed

I too had rotator cuff repair and developed elbow bursitis after doing the same exercise. I was looking for a reason and it's reassuring to know that someone else has experienced this. I never thought about it being the exercises until I read your question and the comment, but now it makes sense. Especially when you think about how you normally do not position your elbow in that way in normal everyday activity. And not only that, having your arm immobilized after surgery then bending your elbow at such an odd angle repetitively probably wouldn't make it very happy. While this exercise may be necessary for the shoulder it may not be appreciated by the elbow.

Bursitis results from inflammation of a bursa, a thin, slippery piece of tissue that protects tendons which are the tissues that connect muscles to bones. It's possible that the condition that caused your rotator cuff injury also impacted your elbow, but it would be better to ask a healthcare professional who knows your full medical history that question.

Your post-operative exercises could aggravate the bursitis, as the standard treatment for acute bursitis is:
* Resting the affected area
* Icing the painful area
* Taking anti-inflammatory medications
* Protecting the area from trauma

It would be best to seek advice from your doctor and/or physical therapist on what exercises and treatments will support recovery from the surgery without aggravating the bursitis. You can find more information about bursitis treatment in our reference section: http://www.empowher.com/condition/bursitis