I left my tampon in for 12 hours, should I be worried?

I am kind of worried because my vagina feels swollen/inflamed. My period is also very different from what I'm used to. I have had no pain so far.

Thank you for your question. If you only did this one time, you should be fine. Normally, you should always change tampons between 4-8 hours. If you are concerned about toxic shock syndrome (TSS) it is extremely rare and in most cases is not life threatening.

It is also common to have some swelling in the vaginal area during a menstrual cycle. If you have any additional concerns, you should make an appointment with your doctor.

Good luck,

Thanks! How long does the swelling typically last?