I panic in places that I feel are "ugly" or "old". I tend to obsessively reseach ahead of time what the place looks like.

28 yr old married female and mother of 1. I get very agitated when visiting places that I feel are "ugly" or "old". I start to sweat, my blood pressure rises, and I usually get very aggressive and angry (which is unusual b/c and I am very quiet, patient, and laid back.) I always research a new place before I visit it (Ex. doctor's office, restaurant, gas station). I will spend hours looking for photos and reading reviews or sometimes drive past the building prior to entering. I don't feel that this is related to materialism as I generally do not hold other things in high regard. I tend to look at this like I am loyal to certain places and feel substantially uncomfortable if I sway from the "norm". Please tell me if this could be agoraphobia. Thank you!!

You know, as I was reading your post, my immediate thought is that this is some kind of phobia. I don't know what kind of phobia but it's something that makes you feel highly uncomfortable, suspicious and out of place.

Neophobia is a fear of anything new - new places, things or new experiences (not a fear of something that's actually new like a new dress). This could be what's going on.

Of course, it could be agoraphobia too, fearing that you can't get out of some place quickly if needed or the panicky feeling when being somewhere big and new to you.

It might be a good idea to talk to a therapist who specializes in phobias. Your phobia does seem to be impacting your life quite a bit so it's worth doing.

Please stay in touch with us!

Agoraphobia Guide