Breast Cancer

Breast Cancer Guide

ask: I want to know if I can take Amberen safely - I take Femara for my post breast cancer surgery

I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Ductal Carcinoma in Situ - Had surgery 8/9/2010m Partial Mastectomy. Radiation thereafter for 16 treatments.

Last check up doing fine. However I can't lose the weight gain or belly fat. I want to know if it is safe for me to take Amberen - I take Femara, Metoprolol, Propafanone, Celebrex ( I have atrial fib and arthritis).

Thank you for your assistance. (My Oncologist seems to be too busy to find out for me.)

Donna Gould

Hi Donna

Thanks for your post  and congrats on being post breast cancer!

Your doctor is the wrong doctor for you, if he can't take the time to provide post-treatment care for you.

As you know, HRT can't be used for women with a history of breast cancer. As far as Amberen is concerned, there is no estrogen contained in it so it may be ok to take but I would absolutely not take it without talking to a doctor (breast cancer specialist) first.

Here is more information about Amberen from it's own website: :

Patients with hormone-receptive cancers were NOT included in Amberen’s clinical trials, so there is no data regarding cancer survivors. Because every situation is different, we advise you to consult your doctor (oncologist or endocrinologist) or other trusted healthcare provider to see if Amberen would be a good fit at this point in your treatment or remission. For your doctor’s reference, more information about Amberen’s clinical trials is available here: Amberen Clinical Trials.

If you’re currently taking any prescription drugs that are designed to alter your natural hormone levels, Amberen may not be good for you, as it will attempt to restore your natural hormonal balance. Make sure to consult your doctor, especially if you are a cancer survivor or have a severe thyroid disorder.

http://www.amberen.com/faq 

I hope this helps you and please stay in touch.

Have you been tested for BRCA gene mutation?: