If had chlamydia twice, are you at risk for being infertile?

By Anonymous November 10, 2011 - 10:42am

I've contracted chlamydia twice in my life, both over two years ago, and I'm only twenty... I heard once that if you have an STD multiple times, you have a higher risk for not having children one day. All I've ever wanted to be was a mom...How likely are my chances of being infertile?

Anonymous

Hi I contracted chlaymida off my ex back in September and got it treated the same month I then ended up getting back with my ex at the end of February and he told me he got treated and stupidly believed him but I recently got a uti which turned into a kidney infection and got treated and it went away but now I'm worried that it could of been pid and worried I've chlaymida again but could pid been diagnosed wrongly as a kidney infection , and the what is the chances I would be infertile as Its only March now and I'm getting checked tomorow

Anonymous

Hi Susan ,

I had chlamydia 3 times in my life . Each time was given to be by me ex . Although I loved him I did not trust him . Each time I had symptoms went to the Docter and got treatment . The third time was the last straw . We have not been together for 4 years . I hav since than gone to get tested every year for stds and my annual Pap smear . Just to make sure my health is well . My new partner and I have been tested for stds and everything is negative . I am now trying to get pregnant for a year with no luck . I'm scared those 3 times have made me Infertile . Please I'm super worried I can't even sleep ;(

Hello Anon

Hopefully you had it three times and got treated three times and didn't have it without knowing it. It's good that you were treated each time you knew you had it.

Anyone trying for pregnancy unsuccessfully for a year needs to see a doctor to have her fertility checked. Your partner will also have to have this done.

Good luck - I hope things work out for you.

Anonymous

I got chlamydia 5 years ago but recently got it again, I went to the doctor and was only given two pills, should that be enough to get rid of it?

Hello Anon

I am not aware of the dosage for chlamydia. I assume the two pills are all that is required if your doctor only prescribed these two pills.
Call your doctor for more information.

Anonymous

Hi, so wen I 20yr ago I got tested positive for chlamydia while I was pregnant and got treated. Three years later I got tested again came back as negative, now my partner tested positive for gonorrhea. Could I have given him gonorrhea if my test is negative?

I'm sure a follow up was done when you were pregnancy to make sure you were properly treated.

So it's not possible for you to have given him this infection.

Make sure you do not have any kind of unprotected sex with him and you will both need to be treated even if you are negative (as a precaution).

Anonymous

Hi, I have had 3 different STIs transmitted through an ex, I didn't know I had them originally, but they were probably there for a couple of years before I really noticed, and then due to being too scared to go to the doctor and to tell my family because I was young I had them for a little while longer, I am clean now and wondering will I be able to have kids? because my ex that gave me the diseases we had sex multiple times where he didn't pull out and I never became pregnant, so was that due to me having the diseases or am I now infertil?

(reply to Anonymous)

Hello, I am in the same boat as you. When I was 17, my then boyfriend cheated on me with a girl and caught chlamydia. He then gave it to me. I didn't find out for 5 months. When I finally got treated for it, the nurse made me drunk this nasty purple stuff with foam. About 3 in a half years later, a doctor said I had it again, except the second time they treated me with a shot and some pills. I feared that he either cheated on me again, or that the first time drinking the nasty purple stuff didn't get rid of it, making me question if I had chlamydia for three years. Although I remember having numerous yearly check ups prior and everything was negative. I am now 26, and when i tell you I have never been pregnant, I mean I never got pregnant and been trying every month for the past 9 years. The crazy part of it all, us that I'm still with the ass hole who gave it to me. I am mad at him as we speak, because I cant get over the fact he probably messed me up for having children, but I love him...I have mixed emotions. I say all this to say keep trying to get pregnant if you are. Best of luck, remember if it's in god's hands for you to be a mom you will be a mom

We cannot say if you are fertile or not; only about 15-20% of women having sex will get pregnant every month so you could have just been lucky (your ex doesn't sound like someone you'd want to have a child with).

You can talk to your doctor about your fears. These infections can cause PID - pelvic inflammatory disease (which can lead to infertility) and she can perform an exam. There is no one test for PID but there are methods your doctor can use (exam, ultrasound).

Good luck,
Ssuabn

Chlamydia

Chlamydia Guide