If I have kidney disease will my blood work show it?

I have a soeness in my left side that pains at times I have swollen ankles . I urinate often but I drink lotsof water. My creatin number is 1.15 and my gGFR number is 57. it was 51 but has increased.My creatin was 1.36. The test I've taken show that myleftkidney is slightly larger than the right. My bp is slightly elevated eventhough I am on meds. ????? What is going on ?My dr.says there'snothing to be concerned about. But as I research I am concerned.

Firstly, it's not unusual for the kidneys to differ very slightly in size.

Symptoms of kidney disease and testing/diagnosis include:

(If you experience any of these symptoms, do not assume it is due to chronic renal failure. These symptoms may be caused by other, less serious health conditions. If you experience any one of them, see your doctor.)

Symptoms include:

• Tiredness
  • Weakness
  • Not sleeping well
  • Less desire to eat than usual
  • Nausea
  • Itching
  • Shortness of breath
  • Altered taste
  • Altered mental state

The most reliable way to measure kidney disease is by testing for glomerular filtration rateā€”the speed at which blood enters, is cleaned, and then leaves the kidney. A rate of less than 60 milliliters every minute over three months indicates chronic kidney disease.

A blood test for levels of creatine is a part of calculating the filtration rate. Creatinine is an acid that promotes muscle growth. When the kidney is not working effectively, the amount of creatinine in the blood increases. Other commonly ordered tests include calcium, phosphorus, parathyroid hormone, potassium, blood urea nitrogen (BUN), and bicarbonate.

A doctor also will test for protein in the urine, particularly for a protein called albumin, and ask questions about personal and health histories to determine if there are any other causes for the results of the blood and urine tests.

Your doctor may order an ultrasound of the kidney.

Patients who are already at high risk for kidney disease should be tested more frequently so any damage can be diagnosed early. Patients with kidney disease will be referred to a specialist called a nephrologist, who is dedicated to managing kidney diseases. On rare occasion, a kidney biopsy is done.

For lots more, click here:

I hope this helps!

Polycystic Kidney Disease

Polycystic Kidney Disease Guide