Increased Incontinence After Bladder Sling Surgery

By September 27, 2009 - 10:16pm

I had bladder sling surgery about a month ago and am actually having worse incontinence than I had before the surgery. I was diagnosed with stress incontinence before the surgery and had to wear a pad for leakage when I coughed or sneezed. Now I am wearing adult diapers because when I move from a sitting to a standing position almost all of the urine in my bladder leaks out. The surgeon performed a urethral injection to add bulking material to help with the incontinence but it has not really helped the situation. I am not sure what the next step should be.

Anonymous

I was incontinent for about 10 yrs and had to wear pads. When I went to Dr about it he prescribed medication that I took for a year that did't help at all. Then after bladder tests showed I had no muscle tone the dr preformed bladder sling surgery in May 2014. He did not use a mesh material, he told me he would used a material similar to dental floss that would not grow and embed into my organs. When I void the stream does not come out straight like it used to goes mostly to my right. Several months or more and I am back to wearing pads as it is as bad as it was before except I don't leak when I sneeze or cough. I wet myself when I stand up or before I can get to the bathroom or just getting out of bed it rolls down by leg and I cannot help it. I was wondering if I need to go back and have more surgery as maybe this sling has moved out of place?? I would appreciate what you think I should do as I am tired of wearing pads again. Thank You, B. P.

Anonymous

I had surgery a transvaginal mesh removal and a prolapse and before surgery i could urinate fine no problem but know after the surgery ,i cant and i have to empty my bladdder my self with a catheters,its horrible

I had my bladder sling surgery on January 21, 2016. My leakage is worse as well. I got up for work the other morning and went to the restroom and was brushing my teeth and it just ran down my leg with no warning. I now wear pads and was hoping the surgery would stop the leakage but know it is worse. No warning it just happens.

The same thing is happening to me! I had surgery on March 18th and it is so much worse! I wet myself be for I can even get to the pot and then the urine sprays every where. My post op is in 2 weeks at the 5 wk point. Is this normal? Please any response is welcome...I just feel like cryimg all the time and am scared to go anywhere.

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

I am so sorry to hear that all three of you are still dealing with incontinence after surgery.

Have you spoken or reported this to your surgeon?

Most options for urinary incontinence surgery treat stress incontinence.

In some cases, surgery may not cure urinary incontinence. For instance, if you have mixed incontinence — a combination of stress incontinence and overactive bladder — surgery may improve your stress incontinence but not your overactive bladder. You may still need medication and physical therapy after surgery to treat overactive bladder.

Regards,

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

I am so sorry to hear this. Have you spoken to your physician about this?

Regards,

Anonymous

On 2-25-15 I had a hysterectomy and bladder sling surgery for a prolapse. Y mesh was used. I never leaked before having the surgery. I now void every few minutes and leak constantly. The surgery was done robotically. If I knew this was going to happen I never would have had my bladder done. Does the leakage ever stop?

I'm really sorry to hear this - this must be awful to deal with. I know that these meshes don't always work but many have had great success. What did your doctor say?

Anonymous

I just had my surgery a week ago and noticed that I leaked twice but one was worse then the other. I haven't gone back to my dr yet for my post op check up as that will prolly be next week I go. I Feel like I am in pain down there and it hurts when I sit or walk just a short distance. I have it in a sling but it's mr the mesh one that everyone was complaining about. I think this one is like a cloth. It hurts when I cough also. I also had a hysterectomy done with this procedure and that doesn't hurt as bad as this does.... I am 34 years old and have 3 young kids. I hope I didn't make a mistake getting this done.

I just this surgery 3 weeks ago and I am still in pain "down there" , can you please let me know how you are doing now? Are you any better? If you are how long did it take for you to get better? I am sorry but I am in pain, and it does hurt to walk long distances. I almost regret having this surgery done. I look forward to hearing from you.