Bladder Infection

Bladder Infection Guide

ask: Increased Incontinence After Bladder Sling Surgery

By Barkelsmith

I had bladder sling surgery about a month ago and am actually having worse incontinence than I had before the surgery. I was diagnosed with stress incontinence before the surgery and had to wear a pad for leakage when I coughed or sneezed. Now I am wearing adult diapers because when I move from a sitting to a standing position almost all of the urine in my bladder leaks out. The surgeon performed a urethral injection to add bulking material to help with the incontinence but it has not really helped the situation. I am not sure what the next step should be.

Anonymous

I am having the same problem - less than 2 weeks after sling procedure. It didn't start right away, though. Just the last few days I have started leaking constantly, not related to urge or stress. I also had some heavy bleeding start around the same time. Little bleeding after surgery, but lots after a little over a week. Went to see my urogyno today and she doesn't know whats wrong or why the sling isn't working. She said it is healing well and is still in place and looks good, but definitely isn't working. She could see that I was leaking during her exam. She sent my urine sample off for a culture and then when she gets the results of that will decide what to do. It's all a mystery right now, and I think I am going to need to wear a diaper - a pad isn't cutting it! I sure hope she can figure out a solution. I am intersted in hearing from others with the same problem how it was resolved. My doc didn't indicate any potential solutions yet. Just said that it was extememly rare for the sling not to work. She hasnt had a patient in a long time where it was unsuccessful.

-Shelby

Exact same problem. First had the collagen injections. Waste of time and money. Then had the bladder sling. I think I leak worse than before the surgery. I can smell myself. Have to go to bathroom with wipes and a pad each time. Ready to throw in the towel. Curious of your outcome.

Shelby
your situations sounds exactly like mine. I had a bladder sling surgery on May 1st, The Dr. specializes in just that, But, I am more wet now than ever. The word is that my bladder is spastic, but, i don't feel the spasms as I have been down that road before. I was suffering from only stress incontinence and now I just leak no matter what. Does anyone have some advice. the Dr. isn't helping too much at this point he says I am healing fine. I go back to work in a few days, and just know I am going to have to wear heavy pads.
Sick of being Wet.

Stacey F. (reply to Anonymous)

I am having the same issue. 3 weeks post op and more wet now than ever! I am so discouraged and I regret having having the procedure because it has greatly inconvenienced me and now it has damaged me! I am so tired of being wet, wearing pads, and all the other issues too embarrassing to admit!

Did your situation resolve itself? They tell me that this problem will either resolve itself or I will need physical therapy....(like I haven't been kegeling for years?!)
Tired of padded pants.

Barkelsmith

We found the solution by going to a urologist at Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, AZ. I found that going to a clinic/Doctor that actually works in a team environment (as opposed to a single practive) was the answer. After the second surgery I am now at least back to where I was before all of this started. I do wear a diaper at night but during the day just a pantyliner. Try a different doctor and see what their assessment fo your situation is.

Anonymous

I just recently had the surgery 2 weeks ago and I am worse. I wake up soaking wet from urine, wearing pads, and leaking large amounts of urine. I had infection and a inflamed bladder. I have had to go back to see my surgey twice in this two weeks and return again in a couple of days. I really don't know how this problem will be fixed but I am in pain, frustrated and scared to leave my house. I get very painful spasms in my kidney area and going down to my legs. I hope they figure out what is wrong because I am regreding having this surgery.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Dear Anon

Thanks for your post and for finding EmpowHER!

I am so sorry that you are two weeks post-surgery and still having these issues. Make sure you inform your doctor about everything and please let us know what he says.

~Susan

Rettalee

I'm so surprised to find others with this problem as myself. My situation is identical to Susan Cody's. After the sling surgery I had the Durasphere injections twice and am scheduled next week to have my sling tightened. The doctor said that my bladder is where it should be after the sling procedure, but that the upper urethra needed to be tightened up. However, I might not be able to get it done because I came down with bad yeast infection and I noticed my vagina is quite swollen at the inner and outer opening. I'm really tired of having one problem after another!

Anonymous (reply to Rettalee)

I am having the SAME issue! I could handle a little trickle from before, but now my bladder just empties wherever I am. I am afraid to even go into public after I have drank any sort of liquid because I don't want to have an accident. Before I could ast least hold all but a few drops, now I try to hold it, and I can't :( All I can do is stand there with my bladder as tight as I can while I wet myself like a 2 year old.

Anonymous

Dear Barkelsmith,I had the bladder sling surgery in April of this year. It also has done NO good at all. I too am worse!! Don't know what to do next. When I stand to get out of a car,my bladder completely empties and I have to go home. I don't even want to get away from home anymore.