Q: 

Increased Incontinence After Bladder Sling Surgery

By September 27, 2009 - 10:16pm

I had bladder sling surgery about a month ago and am actually having worse incontinence than I had before the surgery. I was diagnosed with stress incontinence before the surgery and had to wear a pad for leakage when I coughed or sneezed. Now I am wearing adult diapers because when I move from a sitting to a standing position almost all of the urine in my bladder leaks out. The surgeon performed a urethral injection to add bulking material to help with the incontinence but it has not really helped the situation. I am not sure what the next step should be.

Anonymous

I am having the same problem. Incontinence one month post surgery it is much worse. Whenever I'm standing the urine floods out, out of control. Cannot hold anything in. When I sit on toilet nothing much comes out. As soon as I stand up from toilet the dripping/flowing starts before I even have my pants up, completely wetting everything.
At night I wake up soaked, bed pads soaked, sheets soaked. Have to change Depends and Poises three or four times a night. During day, have to change both at least 7 or 8 times. I have to wear Poise pad inside of Depend. Neither is enough alone.
Please advise!

Anonymous

I had an Autogous PubovagIinal Fascial Sling Surgery 5 weeks ago. I am in horrible shape. I thought I would have the surgery to stop the leakage before I got too old. I am 75. Worst thing that has ever happen to me. When I get up to go to the bathroom I am soaking before I get there. My doctor assured me I would not leak. I don't leak I flood the place. I have to squeeze the urethral in order to pee. Its squeeze let go and squeeze again. I push to keep from peeing when on my way to the bathroom. It doesn't help really and I hurt my stomach. I had to be catherized for 3 weeks. The pain from the surgery was awful . I had a 12 inch cut at the bottom of my stomach with staples holding it together. He said in 8 weeks if I still am not peeing right he can cut the sling. Oh no Doc I might be worst if that is possible. My husband and I just keep praying that I will get better.

Anonymous

Well I had my hystertomy March 2014 and had mesh bladder sling about 6 months after that, since the surgery I find myself wearing panty liners and I hate it!!!! Actually my wettness is more now since this DAMN surgery, I have been put on several different medications and I'm over it. I can go to bed dry wake up wet as hell, if I known that I would have never got the surgery period!!!! There is gotta be some relief somewhere, PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME

I had Bladder sling surgery last April and honestly I would not recommend it for anyone. I have to wear a pad all of the time and I cannot stop the flow once it starts, I've wet myself more then I care to mention. Before I had the surgery I had to wear a pad as well and had high hopes for the surgery and am so disappointed. The surgery was very painful and recovery was rough, My Dr. suggested sending me to another Dr. for more surgery...um, No Thank You.

Hello Anon

I'm really sorry this has happened after surgery; I understand your regrets.

You will need to revisit a urinary incontinence specialist again for help. If you're not happy with your current specialist, see a doctor.

I know this tip will seem to come out of nowhere but...I have done a lot of research on this issue and chiropractic care can help some people. I'm not even sure of the connection but I have read there is a connection with the alignment of the pelvis as well as distinct exercises. It's something to consider?

Anonymous

I was incontinent for about 10 yrs and had to wear pads. When I went to Dr about it he prescribed medication that I took for a year that did't help at all. Then after bladder tests showed I had no muscle tone the dr preformed bladder sling surgery in May 2014. He did not use a mesh material, he told me he would used a material similar to dental floss that would not grow and embed into my organs. When I void the stream does not come out straight like it used to goes mostly to my right. Several months or more and I am back to wearing pads as it is as bad as it was before except I don't leak when I sneeze or cough. I wet myself when I stand up or before I can get to the bathroom or just getting out of bed it rolls down by leg and I cannot help it. I was wondering if I need to go back and have more surgery as maybe this sling has moved out of place?? I would appreciate what you think I should do as I am tired of wearing pads again. Thank You, B. P.

Anonymous

I had surgery a transvaginal mesh removal and a prolapse and before surgery i could urinate fine no problem but know after the surgery ,i cant and i have to empty my bladdder my self with a catheters,its horrible

did you have the mesh removed

I had my bladder sling surgery on January 21, 2016. My leakage is worse as well. I got up for work the other morning and went to the restroom and was brushing my teeth and it just ran down my leg with no warning. I now wear pads and was hoping the surgery would stop the leakage but know it is worse. No warning it just happens.

I had the same problem, I had bladder sling surgery in April of 2016 and it did not help at all. I wear pads all the time and if wait until I have to go I can't hold it. My Urologist said I need to go to another urologist who can do another surgery to 'tighten things up'. no thank you very much :P I am 64 and the sling surgery was very rough on me especially since while I was recovering I had to have my gall bladder removed and the dr emptied tmy infected gall bladder into my abdomine and nicked the common bile duct. I then had to be transported to another hosp to have a stint put into the bile duct and had to take massive amounts of antibiotics that upset my digestive system...another surgery? I don't think so :/