ask: Increased Incontinence After Bladder Sling Surgery

I had bladder sling surgery about a month ago and am actually having worse incontinence than I had before the surgery. I was diagnosed with stress incontinence before the surgery and had to wear a pad for leakage when I coughed or sneezed. Now I am wearing adult diapers because when I move from a sitting to a standing position almost all of the urine in my bladder leaks out. The surgeon performed a urethral injection to add bulking material to help with the incontinence but it has not really helped the situation. I am not sure what the next step should be.

Anonymous

I had surgery a transvaginal mesh removal and a prolapse and before surgery i could urinate fine no problem but know after the surgery ,i cant and i have to empty my bladdder my self with a catheters,its horrible

Anonymous

On 2-25-15 I had a hysterectomy and bladder sling surgery for a prolapse. Y mesh was used. I never leaked before having the surgery. I now void every few minutes and leak constantly. The surgery was done robotically. If I knew this was going to happen I never would have had my bladder done. Does the leakage ever stop?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

I'm really sorry to hear this - this must be awful to deal with. I know that these meshes don't always work but many have had great success. What did your doctor say?

Anonymous

I just had my surgery a week ago and noticed that I leaked twice but one was worse then the other. I haven't gone back to my dr yet for my post op check up as that will prolly be next week I go. I Feel like I am in pain down there and it hurts when I sit or walk just a short distance. I have it in a sling but it's mr the mesh one that everyone was complaining about. I think this one is like a cloth. It hurts when I cough also. I also had a hysterectomy done with this procedure and that doesn't hurt as bad as this does.... I am 34 years old and have 3 young kids. I hope I didn't make a mistake getting this done.

I just had my surgery on March 3 I'm in so much pain, this is my second go around

Anonymous

I just had bladder surgery almost two weeks ago, and I'm having the exact same problems. I regret having the surgery and feel like I'm trapped in my house. I hate going to sleep because I wake up soaking wet, and then have to wash my sheets, blankets, and clothes. I'm so depressed and can't /won't live the rest of my life this way. I'll be 54 next month and feel like my life is over...

Your life isn't over, I promise you, even if it may feel like that right now.

What exact kind of surgery did you have? The mesh?

Please let us know more,

Anonymous

I am having the exact same issues! The chief of surgery at a major hospital performed my surgery. I am 4 weeks out and soaked all of the time anymore. Prior to surgery my bladder leak due to stress, I no longer pee when I sneeze, but it now like a slow leak constantly. Is there any fix to this!?!

Anonymous

I just had the sling done december 12, 2014 and had a catheter removed December 29, 2014 and I started back leaking again Tuesday it only leaks when I stand up, so tired of living like this. I thought after my surgery things would go back to normal, what to do any suggestion

Anonymous

I am having the same problem - less than 2 weeks after sling procedure. It didn't start right away, though. Just the last few days I have started leaking constantly, not related to urge or stress. I also had some heavy bleeding start around the same time. Little bleeding after surgery, but lots after a little over a week. Went to see my urogyno today and she doesn't know whats wrong or why the sling isn't working. She said it is healing well and is still in place and looks good, but definitely isn't working. She could see that I was leaking during her exam. She sent my urine sample off for a culture and then when she gets the results of that will decide what to do. It's all a mystery right now, and I think I am going to need to wear a diaper - a pad isn't cutting it! I sure hope she can figure out a solution. I am intersted in hearing from others with the same problem how it was resolved. My doc didn't indicate any potential solutions yet. Just said that it was extememly rare for the sling not to work. She hasnt had a patient in a long time where it was unsuccessful.

-Shelby

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :