Bladder Infection

Bladder Infection Guide

ask: Increased Incontinence After Bladder Sling Surgery

By Barkelsmith

I had bladder sling surgery about a month ago and am actually having worse incontinence than I had before the surgery. I was diagnosed with stress incontinence before the surgery and had to wear a pad for leakage when I coughed or sneezed. Now I am wearing adult diapers because when I move from a sitting to a standing position almost all of the urine in my bladder leaks out. The surgeon performed a urethral injection to add bulking material to help with the incontinence but it has not really helped the situation. I am not sure what the next step should be.

Anonymous

I just had bladder surgery almost two weeks ago, and I'm having the exact same problems. I regret having the surgery and feel like I'm trapped in my house. I hate going to sleep because I wake up soaking wet, and then have to wash my sheets, blankets, and clothes. I'm so depressed and can't /won't live the rest of my life this way. I'll be 54 next month and feel like my life is over...

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Your life isn't over, I promise you, even if it may feel like that right now.

What exact kind of surgery did you have? The mesh?

Please let us know more,

Anonymous

I am having the exact same issues! The chief of surgery at a major hospital performed my surgery. I am 4 weeks out and soaked all of the time anymore. Prior to surgery my bladder leak due to stress, I no longer pee when I sneeze, but it now like a slow leak constantly. Is there any fix to this!?!

Anonymous

I just had the sling done december 12, 2014 and had a catheter removed December 29, 2014 and I started back leaking again Tuesday it only leaks when I stand up, so tired of living like this. I thought after my surgery things would go back to normal, what to do any suggestion

Anonymous

I am having the same problem - less than 2 weeks after sling procedure. It didn't start right away, though. Just the last few days I have started leaking constantly, not related to urge or stress. I also had some heavy bleeding start around the same time. Little bleeding after surgery, but lots after a little over a week. Went to see my urogyno today and she doesn't know whats wrong or why the sling isn't working. She said it is healing well and is still in place and looks good, but definitely isn't working. She could see that I was leaking during her exam. She sent my urine sample off for a culture and then when she gets the results of that will decide what to do. It's all a mystery right now, and I think I am going to need to wear a diaper - a pad isn't cutting it! I sure hope she can figure out a solution. I am intersted in hearing from others with the same problem how it was resolved. My doc didn't indicate any potential solutions yet. Just said that it was extememly rare for the sling not to work. She hasnt had a patient in a long time where it was unsuccessful.

-Shelby

Exact same problem. First had the collagen injections. Waste of time and money. Then had the bladder sling. I think I leak worse than before the surgery. I can smell myself. Have to go to bathroom with wipes and a pad each time. Ready to throw in the towel. Curious of your outcome.

Shelby
your situations sounds exactly like mine. I had a bladder sling surgery on May 1st, The Dr. specializes in just that, But, I am more wet now than ever. The word is that my bladder is spastic, but, i don't feel the spasms as I have been down that road before. I was suffering from only stress incontinence and now I just leak no matter what. Does anyone have some advice. the Dr. isn't helping too much at this point he says I am healing fine. I go back to work in a few days, and just know I am going to have to wear heavy pads.
Sick of being Wet.

Stacey F. (reply to Anonymous)

I am having the same issue. 3 weeks post op and more wet now than ever! I am so discouraged and I regret having having the procedure because it has greatly inconvenienced me and now it has damaged me! I am so tired of being wet, wearing pads, and all the other issues too embarrassing to admit!

Did your situation resolve itself? They tell me that this problem will either resolve itself or I will need physical therapy....(like I haven't been kegeling for years?!)
Tired of padded pants.

Barkelsmith

We found the solution by going to a urologist at Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, AZ. I found that going to a clinic/Doctor that actually works in a team environment (as opposed to a single practive) was the answer. After the second surgery I am now at least back to where I was before all of this started. I do wear a diaper at night but during the day just a pantyliner. Try a different doctor and see what their assessment fo your situation is.

Anonymous (reply to Barkelsmith)

i am having the same problem as anyone else here more leakage now then ever i regret having this done i do not want to wear diaper or panty liners seeing doc tomorrow and they better have an answer for me other than we have to do this surgery again

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :