ask: Irregular periods after months of having IUD

I have had the Paragaurd IUD since May of last year and until around October I had regular if light periods, then near the end of Oct. I had two really heavy days followed by spotting about a week after my normal period with bad ramping. then a return to a normal period which was about a week late, Nov. and Dec. where normal and then then around Jan 2 I started my period and it has not really stopped it has been pretty light for the most part with very little to no cramping . I have been having regular unprotected sex with my partner. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your post.

IUD can cause issues with the menstrual cycle for a long time after getting them out - sometimes up to a year. But anytime you are bleeding for this length of time, you need to see a doctor. It may be connected to your IUD but if not, it also needs to be diagnosed.

We wish you the best,