ask: Irregular periods after months of having IUD

By Anonymous January 17, 2013 - 6:30am

I have had the Paragaurd IUD since May of last year and until around October I had regular if light periods, then near the end of Oct. I had two really heavy days followed by spotting about a week after my normal period with bad ramping. then a return to a normal period which was about a week late, Nov. and Dec. where normal and then then around Jan 2 I started my period and it has not really stopped it has been pretty light for the most part with very little to no cramping . I have been having regular unprotected sex with my partner. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your post.

IUD can cause issues with the menstrual cycle for a long time after getting them out - sometimes up to a year. But anytime you are bleeding for this length of time, you need to see a doctor. It may be connected to your IUD but if not, it also needs to be diagnosed.

We wish you the best,

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :