is it possible i may have cervical cancer?

By November 4, 2009 - 11:52am

i have been diagnosed with an abnormal pap smear and HPV positive along with irregular heavy bleeding and a nasty odor discharge and i do bleed after sex and it hurts to have sex.. i am scheduled for a colposcopy and endometrial biopsy due to on my pap i had asc-us .. i am 39 years old and have had an STD before.. is there a possibility i may have cervical cancer? or any information to guide me as to what may be going on

Dear Sharon39

Thanks so much for your question and welcome!

I'm sorry you are dealing with this rather frightening issue right now.

Our Encyclopedia talks about some of the symptoms of cervical cancer. They are

Bleeding between regular menstrual periods
Bleeding after sexual intercourse, douching, or a pelvic exam (most common)
Menstrual bleeding that lasts longer and is heavier than usual
Vaginal bleeding after menopause
Increased vaginal discharge that is not blood

Please head to our Cervical Cancer page to learn much more - it's quite detailed and you'll learn about risk factors, causes, treatments and more : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/cervical-cancer#definition

And remember that the success rate for the treatment of cervical cancer when caught early are very good.

Since you tested positive for HPV (the virus that causes most cervical cancers) and are showing abnormal cells, there is a risk that you MAY have cervical cancer but please try not to panic as you know nothing yet and your symptoms may be due to a different infection or an STD, or a virus or something completely unrelated to cancer.

I know it's easy for me to tell you not to panic - I think it's very normal to be scared and I don't blame you. But since you won't have the results for a little while, all you can do it wait.

You may also want to read up on cervical cancer and HPV as much as you can so you can begin to weigh your options, but again, since you have not been diagnosed at all yet, don't over research as you'll end up stressing yourself out more than you need to right now.

When is your procedure scheduled?