is it true you can have your menstral cycle while being pregnant?

By May 27, 2010 - 8:06pm

My mother told me that my grandmmother had her period throughout all her pregnancies... i dont understand how that is possible.... is it really? and how?

Hi love19

Thanks for your question - it's a great one!

Getting a period means you ovulated in the weeks before hand. We ovulate in order to get pregnant. When we are pregnant we don't ovulate. We don't ovulate because we can't get pregnant when we're already pregnant.

Therefore it is UNTRUE to say that you can have your period while pregnant. You cannot.

The reason why many women say they had their period during pregnancy is that they are correct - they did bleed - but it was not a period; it was vaginal bleeding. This can happen for many reasons; there can be implantation bleeding right at the start of pregnancy, but later on there can be a clot occuring, or a huge shift in hormones can also cause this. You can also bleed after sex or for unknown reasons.

Up to the 1960s, women were not given adequate information on pregnancy (or anything, really, when it came to their health). So they didn't know anything about their bodies and assumed something like bleeding was their period. They then advised their daughters of this and the misconception gets carried down from generation to generation.

Women these days are more aware of the facts but some still do assume that bleeding in pregnancy is their period. In fact, bleeding should always be reported to the doctor straight away.

I hope this has answered your question and feel free to explain it to others if they are unsure. The more we all know, the better! Let me know what you think!