lyrica dosage and pregnancy?

I have been taking lyrica, tramodal and flexeril for neuropathic pain due to 2 herniated discs and a tear in the disc @ L1 for 9 months. I have decreased my dose from 300mg to 100mg because of the side effects but I can not get to a lower dose because of the pain. my husband and I would like to start a family and I would like to know what the risks and effects of taking lyrica during pregnancy.

I was 3 months pregnant with my 2nd child. I had no idea I was pregnant and was taking a high dose of lyrica. I had a missed miscarriage at 3 months and had to have a dnc. I have always been a healthy eater. I didn't smoke or drink. I was only taking lyrica. I know it could have been tons of things that could have caused my miscarriage, but I believe in my heart that it was lyrica. I wish I would have known I was pregnant. I have had another child since. I was taken off the meds and had no problems. I continue to take lyrica now. It really helps my pain, but I do not recommend taking while pregnant!

Hi Anonymous

Thanks for your post and welcome!

Lyrica is considered a Category C in pregnancy. This means it has not been studied in pregnant humans. Additionally, studies show that Lyrica has harmed unborn animals.

Animals of mothers taking Lyrica showed bone problems and low birth weights and pregnant animal mothers given Lyrica were prone to miscarriage.

Therefore it is not generally recommended. Talk to your doctor about your other options and see what she/he has to say.

I wish you the best and please keep us updated!

Thank you! Susan,
From the research that I have been doing that it pretty much what I have found as well. I have spoke to my doctor on several occasions regarding trying to conceive but she just keeps telling me to wait which I'm tired of doing, I have had this on-going back problem for well over a year which is not getting any better no matter what I try It is caused by degenerative disc disease. I have met with a ortho surgeon but he said that there is nothing that he can do for me and that it would only get worse with age. I am on a waiting list to have epidurals done to manange the pain but again I do not know if they will give them during pregnancy and I`m not getting any younger. My husband and I have discussed it and I think the best thing to do would be to get off of the lyrica and increase the tramadol and flexeril which I have been told is low risk during pregnancy. Any advice.......... Thanks again Patricia

Hi again Patricia!

That question requires legitimite medical advice - something we cannot give.

But it sounds like you and your husband have been doing some great research and I think you should take your findings to your doctor and discuss it from there, as much of the decision will be based on your personal health history.

But I do hope you'll keep us posted as to what you do, and I really hope you'll have some good baby news for us very soon!

Keep in touch!