By Anonymous February 13, 2015 - 6:40am

Am 48 and l think l am in that stage of menopause cause am experiencing most of the symptons, my question is does it also come with the blood issue from the rectum? I sometimes see blood on my tissue or in the toilet and l also have that pain like am starting my periods

Welcome to EmpowHER and thank you for reaching out to us with your concern about rectal bleeding and lower abdominal cramping

Rectal bleeding and lower abdominal cramping are not symptoms associated with menopause.

Rectal bleeding may show up as blood in your stool, on the toilet paper or in the toilet bowl. Common causes include hemorrhoids, anal fissure, which is a tear in the skin near the anus, chronic constipation and hard stools. Less common causes include Crohn's disease, which can present with abdominal pain and cramping.

Anonymous, I urge you to contact your primary care physician or schedule an appointment with a gastroenterologist to evaluate your symptoms.

Menopause Guide