Q: 

Mirena causing dysphagia???

By Anonymous March 17, 2015 - 10:18am

I had the Mirena IUD inserted a month ago now all of a sudden out of no where I cannot swallow any food. I am on a liquid diet. I have been having anxiety attacks, headaches and a very stiff neck. The doctors wont help me.

Anonymous

Omw! I have been researching my swallowing problems for months and have been to several doctors but no one could find anything medically wrong with me.

I had a C-section with my second baby and the doctor inserted the Copper T IUD. A few months later, I was having supper and as I was swallowing, my throat kept pushing the food back into my mouth. It was as if my throat was rejecting the food. I was not at all anxious while I was eating and this happened out of nowhere. I found it very strange. A few days later, it happened again. It got progressively worse that it started becoming a phobia (fear of swallowing) so much so that I ended up on a liquid diet.

I also experienced terrible headaches initially, hair loss, and other symptoms.

I would love to know whether you can swallow now? How long did it take for your swallowing abilities to return after having the IUD removed?

I though I was the only one. The copper is non-hormonal but someone else also reported swallowing difficulty due to copper IUD.

Anonymous

Your story sounds identical to mine. I had mirena put in January 26th2015 and then 5 weeks later all of a sudden I could not swallow solid food. It is now April and I still cannot swallow I have lost 25lbs and no doctor will help me. To top it all of I have also been diagnosed with pelvic inflammatory disease! I had the Mirena taken out today but, i heard it could take months or years for your body to get back to normal. All I want is to be able to eat again.