missed one pill, light period this month

By Anonymous April 14, 2011 - 9:12am

I've been on Aviane (28-day combination pill) for about 7 months now. I take it religiously every night at the same time ( 9 p.m.) because I'm a worrier by nature.
However, this month during my second week of active pills ( the Thursday pill) I forgot my pill pack at home. Me and my boyfriend had sex that evening before I realized I didn't have my pills with me. We didn't use a condom because I'm faithfully on the pill, we don't have STDs and have been together a while. He didn't ejaculate in me. I took the missed pill 12 hours later at 9 a.m. and then took that day's pill (Friday) on schedule. I didn't miss any other pills.

Now my period arrived on Tuesday (of this week) on time but it looked different. It's lighter and more brown. I can wear only one pad a day and it's enough. I'm worried this may be implantation bleeding or an early sign of pregnancy...like I said I'm a worrier! Please reassure me a little

Here is your reassurance: you are not pregnant. :)

You are having a period, during the time you were expecting your period. That means it is your period. Periods can change slightly from cycle to cycle, and this is normal (even expected!). A normal period can be red, brown, pink...or some combination of colors. A normal period can also be heavier or lighter in quantity, and the consistency can change, too. There are signs when a period is "abnormal", which consist of excessive bleeding (not lighter bleeding like you are experiencing), as well as other "symptoms" (such as unusual pain). Since you are not experiencing any of these symtpoms, I won't go into detail about abnormal periods...you just want to know if you are pregnant or not.

The other factor is your one missed pill. Since you are a "worrier by nature", you can do yourself a HUGE favor and read (or re-read) the patient information brochure that comes with each of your prescriptions (you can also find it online). It tells you in the booklet that missing one pill, and taking it as soon as you remember, DOES NOT decrease the effectiveness of the pill. You still have the same 99% effectiveness from pregnancy. Women who tend to worry can empower themselves with knowledge, and you have it at your fingertips. Read about your prescriptions so you know when you should worry (or rather, call your doctor), and when you are OK. :)

Anonymous (reply to Alison Beaver)

Thank you so much :)
Yes, I've been re-reading the information brochure like crazy since last week and it did say that if I missed only one pill to take it as soon as possible even if it meant taking two in one day. And that no extra form of protection or EC were needed. It is exactly what I did.

(reply to Anonymous)

Perfect! When birth control prescription brochures say "no extra form of protection" is needed, that means the effectiveness rate did not decrease. The medical information would err on the side of caution.

Anonymous (reply to Alison Beaver)

Hi Alison,
It's me again worrier by nature :P. Today, one week following my "weird" 3-day light period, I decided to take a hpt just to make extra sure I wasn't pregnant. The results came back negative so now I can really be rest assured that everything is fine witth me :)

(reply to Anonymous)

Great---thanks for letting us know! :)