My 55-year-old sister-in-law has been diagnosed with 3rd stage kidney failure.

By April 6, 2010 - 6:04am

She has been told that her kidneys cannot be helped and all she can do is stay with the very limited diet. She used Aleve for years for migraines which caused the damage. I am wondering if apple cider vinegar could help her since I have hear so much about it helping kidneys?

Dear jcis2sweet

Thank you for your question and welcome! I am so sorry to read that your sister has such kidney damage after using Aleve - that is frightening news. Do you know if she or her doctor have contacted the manufacturer about this?

Apple cider is indeed good for 'flushing' the kidneys (and bladder) so adding one to two teaspoons of it to water a few times a day may help.

Does your sister have a detailed diet already made out for her? As you mentioned, diet is extremely important for someone with Stage 3 kidney failure.

The National Kidney Foundation has an excellent service where all sorts of meal plans, ingredients and special foods are talked about, for people with kidney failure. You can reach the website here: www.kidney.org

Is your sister planning any kind of other treatment for her kidney failure? Why have the doctors told her there is nothing that can be done? That seems odd, for Stage 3, where usually more can be done!

Thank you so much for looking out for your sister and please update us!