Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

My cousin has sarcoidoses. She would like info on this condition and what type doctor to see?

By Anonymous October 27, 2011 - 10:10am
Rate This

No one seems to know much about this illness. Please help.

Add a Comment1 Comments

HERWriter Guide

Hi Anon

Thanks for finding EmpowHER!

We have information for your cousin right here on EmpowHER.

Sarcoidosis is an inflammatory disease that may affect many different parts of the body. Small round spots, called granulomas, form in various organs. The spots hinder normal functioning of those organs.

The lungs are the most commonly affected organs. Granulomas in the lung leave less space for the air exchange that needs to take place. This can cause the lungs to stiffen. Other commonly affected organs are the skin, eyes, liver, and lymph nodes. Rarely, the brain may be affected.


Treatment aims to ease symptoms and minimize permanent problems. Treatment may include:

You need regular medical and eye exams to monitor for symptoms and complications of sarcoidosis.

Drugs that may be prescribed include the following:

Prednisone (the main treatment) is an oral steroid used to decrease inflammation.
Methotrexate or azathioprine may be used for patients who do not respond to steroids.
Hydroxychloroquine may be used to treat skin problems.
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents may be used to treat musculoskeletal symptoms.
Pulmonary rehabilitation programs may help improve lung function.
Topical steroids may be advised for rashes.
Eye drops may be used for mild eye problems.


To help minimize your symptoms, follow these guidelines:

Don't smoke. If you smoke, quit.
Avoid exposure to dust and chemicals.
Notify your doctor at once if any symptoms develop or worsen.

For lots more info, including causes and risk factors, click here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/sarcoidosis

Here is an EmpowHER article on new research: http://www.empowher.com/sarcoidosis/content/sarcoidosis-current-research and the comments and stories below should help too.

What kind of sarcoidosis does she have? Based on that, she may need a respitory specialist, and R.A. specialist, a neurologist or a pulmonologist. Her doctor can refer her.

I hope this helps and please keep us posted!

October 28, 2011 - 5:19pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.


Get Email Updates

Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!