My legs are always falling asleep. Is this a sign of something dangerous?

By July 7, 2014 - 7:23am

When I sit too long my legs always fall asleep. Pretty much any time I'm not standing or lying flat sleeping. I'm pretty young still and in good shape, so it kind of worries me that my legs are always falling asleep like this. Is this the sign of something dangerous like low blood pressure or clogged arteries?

Hi John and thanks for your question! 

Leg numbness (this kind of limb numbness is called paresthesia) can be caused by many things.

If you lift and carry a lot through work, or even work out with heavy weights, you can damage the lower part of your spine and that in turn can cause numbness. 

It can also be a sign of chronic fatigue syndrome. How do you feel day-today? Are you constantly tired, or with body aches?

Another possibility is a trapped nerve or an issue with your central nervous system. Multiple Sclerosis is a culprit in some cases of leg numbness. 

Because this happens to you every time you are a rest, you should absolutely see a doctor. Our limbs can fall asleep due to poor posture or falling asleep in an awkward way but to have this happen constantly merits a full examination. 

Will you place a call to your doctor?

Spinal cord