My Mom is in stage 4 kidney failure. she has pulminary hypertension, mylofirbrosis liver failure and diabetes. What can we do and how long can she live?

By Anonymous February 21, 2011 - 8:57am

liver failure and diabetes. How long can she live? and what can we do at this point?

Hi Anonymous

Thank you for your question and for finding EmpowHER. I'm very sorry to read of your Mom's diagnosis.

Generally, stage 4 kidney disease is considered terminal and the addition of liver failure and diabetes obviously adds to the "terminal" prognosis. However, some stage 4 illnesses revert back to stage 3 or lower.

Your mother's doctor needs to sit down with you and discuss your mom's options. These options may be continuation of treatments, continuation of some treatments or stopping treatment if it's not working at all, and considering hospice care. Your mom also has the option of homeopathic care and other alternatives.

What you can do is make her as comfortable as possible, with pain medication and healthy and appropriate nutrition. Also consider spiritual guidance if that is something she would want and talk to her about her medical options. She makes the ultimate decisions as I am sure you and she knows, and just let her know that you will support her with whatever her choices are. Talk to and listen to her doctors but remember that your mom (along with her doctors) has the final call.

Much of this will depend on her medical history and current prognosis as well as her own wishes (DNR etc).

I'm sure this is a really difficult time for you and her and I hope that you also have someone to lean on. Please stay in touch with us and let us know how your mom and you are doing. Thank you for looking out for her best interests.