Is my neck pain from using my smart phone?

By June 27, 2014 - 6:38pm

Everyone I know who has a smart phone will bend their neck towards their chest while looking at their phone. I can't imagine this is something that is good long term. I have some neck pain occasionally and was wondering if my phone use could be the cause. Are there things I can do to prevent any future neck or back problems?

Hi Carrie

This is a great question! 

Honestly, I don't think I crane my neck at all but now that you mention this, I'll be more conscious of it to see if I do! 

Any kind of bad posture can cause neck pain. To see if bad posture while using your phone is what is causing it, stop using your phone and see if your pain stops. 

And since that is not going to happen (!), I suggest limiting your use and really watching your posture to see. Only you can really gauge your own posture but ask co-workers to let you know if you are craning your neck when you look at your smart phone. 

To avoid this from happening, improve your posture. We got another question about posture recently that I think you should read, it's full of great tips and desk exercise to reduce back pain which include the neck. 

Check it out here: 

Let me know if you see improvement, I'd be interested to know if your phone is indeed the source of your neck pain. 

By the way, warm neck compresses and massage will help. You can do this at work, as well as at home. And check your pillow - an old pillow or one that is too thick can be really tough on the neck - that may be an additional source (or the origin) of your pain.