My partner can be very insensitive?

By March 29, 2013 - 10:42am

I know he's not a fan of kids/babies, or cats, or pretty much any animal that I like. he knows that I want kids someday, and that I love cats. sometimes he can be really mean, and make comments like "I have a genuine disgust for babies", or "I'd probably kill myself if I had a kid", or "I'd be so happy to feed a baby kitten to my dog", and much more. that hurts me a lot, and he knows it. but he continues to say things like that, and even after I get upset; he just gets mad at me and thinks I'm trying to change him. I ask him to apologize but he just won't because its his "opinion". I love him so much but sometimes he really hurts my feelings & doesn't seem to care. advice?

Hi devilcupcakes

I know you are young (still a teenager, I think?) and you appear to be very focused on pregnancy and having babies in general.

That can be very off-putting to a boyfriend who is also young, starting off in life as an adult and just wanting to live a little.

Maybe he doesn't mean this and is just saying it hoping you won't keep talking about having children. Maybe just focus on school or your work, rather than having babies. 

If he is older, then perhaps babies are just not in his future. There is nothing wrong with that, it's just that he won't be a good match for you in the end, so don't expect to begin a family with him, that's a really bad idea. If one person doesn't want kids (or a kitten) then the overall decision is a no.

As for his kitten remarks, that seems a bit childish of him - but perhaps he's just joking and do it knowing it irritates you. If he isn't joking then get rid of him.

You may get along fine but if more differences keep cropping up, then you may want to re-evaulate your relationship.

You may love him but his actions don't really show a lot of love or respect from him to you. It's up to you if you want to be spoken to like this.

I hope things work out for you,