My ultrasound showed no fetal pole at 7w3d. Will I miscarry?

I've had 3 ultrasounds starting from around 5 weeks. The doctor was concerned because there was not heartbeat. I thought maybe it was too early to tell, so I held on hope. However, at my appointment yesterday, the technician wasn't able to find a fetal pole at all. I heard of some women that went on to have normal pregnancies, but I don't know what the success rate is. Last night, I didn't wake up to go to the bathroom (I usually wake up 2 times), and today I fit better in my clothes. I noticed my sense of smell is not as strong. I hope I'm not imagining any of this! I haven't had any bleeding, only very little pink spotting a week ago, and I passed what looked to me like a little cluster of mucus only (mainly white with a little pink). I didn't have any cramps until today (very mild, barely noticeable). Will I miscarry? If so, how long will it take for me to have a miscarriage?

Thanks for your post. I'm sorry you're going through this.

To be honest, we have no idea if you will miscarry or not, or when it might be.

But your pregnancy sounds troubled. It sounds like the pregnancy may never have been successful at all, if there has been no heart beat to date. With today's technology, a heartbeat can sometimes be heard by 7 weeks 3 days but for some women it can actually be 8 or 9 weeks or longer.

The cramps you are feeling now may be an indication that a miscarriage may occur but please don't give up hope yet. We're in a difficult position to give an opinion because the pregnancy does not sound particularly viable by how you describe it but at the same time not all pregnancies show at heartbeat at 7 weeks.

What kind of device is being used - a hand held? (Doppler?).

There are other factors to consider too, like where the baby is exactly in the womb - depending on that, a heartbeat is harder to hear especially in the beginning.

There is nothing you can do at this stage only wait and see. And you have done nothing at all regarding not being able to hear the heartbeat. This is all out of your hands for now, it's simply up to your body and nature to see how this pans out.

It's a very difficult waiting game but the next week or two should tell you a lot more. What has your doctor said about not being able to find the heartbeat at 7 weeks?

We are hoping for the best for you,

Hello! The day after I sent this question, my midwife called me to let me know the professional results of the ultrasound: there was no baby in the sac. I think that probably my body must have taken him back. We were very shocked and sad. That same night I started having normal period cramps, and then the miscarriage began. It was probably the slowest, least painful miscarriage I have ever heard of. For this, we are both grateful. At first, I was expelling tissue (I didn't know what it would look like, but it really does look like small string and pieces of flesh) and then my period began about a week later. I still have it. I don't know how long it will take to completely finish. I read some women had it for like 2 weeks. Mine stayed very light. I am really sad about losing my baby, but honestly, not knowing what would happen gave me more stress. Grieving or celebrating is a lot easier on the heart than the total unknown. My husband and I will try again in a couple of months, once I am back to normal. I hope and pray that women out there will be comforted at times such as these the way I was. I honestly think that not having faith makes this process harder. I for one believe that even though there is no explanation for this pain, it will be used for good. Now I can comfort others who are going through it. I also believe that God is just, and that He is taking care of my baby in Heaven right now.