Beauty

Beauty Guide

Cary Cook BSN RN

ask: Natural African Hair

I have been maintaining natural african hair by blow drying it after 3 weeks. My hair is light such that after plaiting it breaks off. Am having an isssue cauz when i sweat my hair tangles and i have to use a blowdry to detangle it would it be a good idea to relax it

Anonymous

There is nothing I regret more than relaxing my natural hair (I am Nigerian). I could recommend texlaxing I have seen some amazing result.
http://www.youtube.com/feed/UCI1rvyvsnXwBb6irFxpb4Cg
(Talk to her she responded immediately and is really lovely)
There also natural hair styles such as twist, twist out and braid outs you can do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uXsi29ulH8
(I'm picking Nigerians because their hair type is most like mine)
Unfortunately, I don't have these option I am almost 2 months post relaxer and wishing I hadn't relaxed my hair as it has become dry, flat and unmanageable.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about African hair, other than it sometimes needs extra TLC due to dryness and breakability.

I hope some of our readers with natural African hair can help you out with tips. Relaxing hair can really ruin it, that much I know. But it can also help manage hair. I think your best bet is to get a consultation from an expert before going through with anything and don't try to do it yourself. It will be worth the extra money to have an expert take care of you.

I think natural "black" hair is gorgeous. You can also ask the expert how to maintain it and keep it healthy, if relaxing won't be good for your hair.

Please let us know how it goes-

Need Your Feedback! What health topics would you like to see covered more on EmpowHER.com?: