New dark mole on upper back of thigh, doctor isn't concerned, but I need a second opinion, should I be worried?

I really need some additional confirmation that this mole is nothing to worry about, I never noticed it before and it does appear darker than my other moles. In a photograph there seem to be 2 shades of brown, but the overall shape is oval, and it's only 2mm wide. My family doctor works at a walk-in clinic and only took a quick glance, but due to it's small size she didn't think it was worrisome and told me to watch it. I don't want to wait for it to start changing/getting more dangerous so I'd like to know if I should ask my doctor more firmly for a dermatology referral.

Here is an image link:http://ibin.co/23AC0JPebXR8

Thanks so much, I truly appreciate this!

I agree that a second opinion is a good idea. Most doctors give them a cursory glance but they are not trained in this area unless they are a dermatologist. I suggest you make an appointment with a dermatolist. Even if the mole turns out to be nothing, all new moles, especially ones that look a bit different, should be checked out to make sure.

Keep us posted! 

Thanks Susan, I appreciate the support. I've emailed a private dermatologist that uses the verisante aura device to check 2-5 moles for $200. I live in Toronto, Canada, but I'm willing to pay for a private appointment as this technology has been proven the best form of initial diagnosis, and as my family doctor didn't see the need for a referral the first time I asked.

I'll post when I have an answer, but that seems like a reasonable price for peace of mind/potentially catching something early.

Thanks again!

I agree and that price isn't too bad compared to going private in the US! 

Plus - peace of mind is priceless.