ask: Next Choice help?!

By roxygirl30

I've been on birth control for a little over 4 or 5 months now and I haven't taken them faithfully but I also have not been sexually active. I ended my period the last week of July and had sex on August 6th, unprotected. I realized I hadn't taken almost a weeks worth of my "sugar" pills (if that's what the last row of them are called). He pulled out but didn't feel confident about the precum. I took Next Choice around 15 hours after it happened, no spotting or bleeding until the last week of August (around 3 weeks after) which is when my expected period was supposed to happen and it lasted for a few days. I filled up quite a few tampons and bled through onto my underwear like usual but it wasn't extremely heavy. Do you think I'm okay and shouldn't worry?

From the day I took the Next Choice pills until today, there has been SLIGHT bloating about 4-5 inches below my belly button. I guess it's from my body never taking that pill? It hasn't progressed nor has it gone down but it's never hurt me.

And I've continued taking my birth control regularly in hoping that my next period will come at the end of the month.. Do you think it should?

Hi roxygirl30

You have posted this same question four or five times in the course of just a week and we have answered each time. We have many members looking for help so we ask that people only post once.

You are fully protected from pregnancy while taking the 7 day sugar pills. Plan B can affect the menstrual cycle, giving a person a large dose of hormones in addition to the hormones you are already on by taking the Pill.

This can affect the menstrual cycle. You may be bloating due to PMS although PMS isn't common while on the Pill.

You can take a pregnancy test 14 days after sex.

If you have further questions, you can address them with your doctor as we really have helped you in every capacity we can.

roxygirl30 (reply to Susan Cody)

I apologize. The reason i keep posting is because i would post, someone would answer, i would reply, and i would not get an answer back. I just want a lot of feedback about my situation but I understand. One more question, which period do I need to be worried about being late? I had no spotting after taking it, obviously, but instead I bled 3 weeks after taking it which was my actual period time. So does that put me in the clear or is it the period this month (second period) that I should worry about?

Thank you for your time.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to roxygirl30)

Hi Roxy

Moderators try to answer questions fully on the first go so we can move on to help others. If you really need more info, then feel free to "bump up" your original post and ask for another follow up. We get so many questions in that we have to answer and ultimately move on, especially with urgent or serious health care questions waiting for us.

Your question here is a bit tricky because it's hard to say. Generally, you could count your bleeding after taking  the emergency pill as a "period" but since it can cause an irregularity for the next period anyway, it can't be counted as a 28 day cycle.

Your best bet to know when you are safe from pregnancy is either wait for your period or if that's too nerve-wracking, you can take a pregnancy test 14+ days after you had unprotected sex. This will give you a yes or a no in terms of whether you are pregnant. Again, bear in mind that your risk is very low. Good luck!

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: