not sure where to go

in 2008 I had my first sign my hands were swellen and red and hurt. Went to the doctor and he said you have RA, I had X-Rays and nothing was there. A few months later it happened again, nothing. This has been going on off and on so 7 months ago he did an RA and CRP blood work the RA was neg but the inflamation was very high. He thought I had Fribro. I did not think so. This has still be going on. I can not get out of bed in the mornings, can barley do my work, I ahve a very stressfull job. My whole body hurts now not just my hands. It is my toes, feet, ankels, legs, hips, back my elbos, my neck, my jaw, and my hands and fingers!! My doctor has told me that now I have RA and pu tme on Methotrexate?? Can you give me any information, please. I am in so much pain most of the day.

Dear Anonymous

Thanks for your post.

My goodness - your pain seems unbearable.

Has the fact that you don't have RA been absolutely confirmed? Or are you going in for more testing?

Your symptoms do sound like Fibromyalgia (or you could be dealing with all sorts of conditions, really, so can only suggest avenues to search) but could indeed be RA (with more testing), it could be something like Lupus, Sickle Cell Anemia or a variety of autoimmune illnesses. You may also have some kind of toxin in your body.

I think you might be helped by seeing an autoimmune specialist.

With regard to Fibromyalgia :

Common symptoms include:

■Generalized fatigue or tiredness
■Reduced physical endurance
■Generalized aches and pains of muscles, tendons, and ligaments
■Muscle tightening or spasms
■Pain in specific areas of the body, especially:
◦Back (upper and lower)
◦Hips and thighs
■Insomnia or poor sleep
■Sensations of numbness or swelling (although swelling is not actually present)
■Chronic headaches, including migraines
■Morning stiffness, worst on first arising

Factors that may trigger or worsen symptoms include:

■Weather changes, especially cold, damp weather
■Stress or anxiety
■Medical illness

Read a lot more on our Fibro page that also includes what the condition really is, diagnosis, treatments and more. You can also read expert articles and experiences from other women, including answers to many questions. http://www.empowher.com/condition/fibromyalgia

Anon - you said you are sure you don't have fibromyalgia. Can you tell us why you think this?

My Mom has Fibro and I have none of the same things she has. My pain is so diff. and the swelling and reddness. RA is what they thought the frist time, and a few times in beween. I think the boold test has been throwing them off. Not everyone who has RA test pos. I don't know. I am going in for more test and to see a RA doctor. I am worried about the medication!!

Hi again!

Thanks for the update. Medications do cause some side effects that are uncomfortable. Make sure you get a top to toe evaluation from a qualified auto immune specialist.

Will you keep us updated?

Just got a call and the new blood work was all neg also. Not sure what to do now. The medication is making me sick and it may not even be the right stuff. The spec. can't see me for 2 months.

Rheumatoid Arthritis