"The pill"

By September 15, 2015 - 7:03pm

Hi, I am on the pill and I was wondering if smoking Marajaunia while on the pill will give you blood clots & strokes like you would have with smoking ciggaretts? Or have any serious life and death side effects ..... I've been thinking about this for a while now ....

Thank you Susan! Have a great day.

That's a good question since there is definitely a link between regular smoking, stroke and the Pill.

Unfortunately there isn't much research on this because MJ is still illegal in many places so it has never been a priority study or one that would get much funding. So I cannot find any information on if it would have an effect on the body like cigarettes do.

The only troublesome information I can find is that inhaling anything other than oxygen or medication into the lungs in dangerous and can affect the heart. Since this can lead to stroke, there may be a danger here. But again, there don't seem to be any real studies on this.

Regarding general health, long term smoking of pot can lead to memory loss and can negatively affect the heart and lungs. But I don't think one joint a week is going to lead to ill-health and there does not seem to be a connection between pot and lung cancer. Do remember thought that pot contains over 60 chemicals, sometimes including formaldehyde, depending on where you get it.

I'm sorry we don't have a lot of information. Hopefully when pot is fully legalized there will be more studies on this but I think that is years down the line. If you're worried about the effects then don't smoke heavily, limit yourself.